Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Awesome Sun Polyp Pic

wulffenstein

I got this pic last night and couldn't beleive it turn out so awesome. This small one doesn't do it justice. You can even see the color rings in the tentacles.

Anybody got pics of yellow sun polyps?

andysun.jpg

WOW, Ilike this pic. It is a little small, however it is a great pic. Nice color and resolution. What camera did you use, and is that a flashlight beam? ;)

I shrank the pic for the web. The larger version is 2048x1536 and over 1.5MB.

I used a Canon G1, if you play with the settings you can get some great pics out of it.

o man i love sun polyps. i cant decide if i am able to take the plunge and get one though. whats your opinion on the "hardness" of taking care of this coral wulf?? great pic too...

thanks everyone for the compliments on the pic.

As far as care: Sun Polyps are non-photosynthetic so they need to be feed. They prefer meaty foods. I feed mine "Prime Reef" which a blend of meaty foods with vitamin supplement. The key is to train them to open. This just takes time and consistency of feeding at the same time.

They seem to be hardy if you are willing to give them TLC and feed them. If you don't want to go through the feeding ritual I would pass.

Yeah...sun corals are corals that need more one on one care than most. Along with what wulf said lower lights levels and good current are a nice thing for them too.

Cameron

Yowsa. Nice suns.

Hey...I bought a similar sized colony of suns 6 days ago, and most of them will now extend 70%. How long did yours take to bloom so well?

Oh, and specifically waht meaty foods and vitamins do you use? Thus far I'm only doing brine shrimp, and I know I need to do more.

pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop

There are few things I would like to comment on. First, light levels for sun corals are inconsequential. You can have them under a lot of light or no light at all. They are not sensitive to light, they are found in lower light area in the wild because of the abundance of food in caves, etc. The key is to put them a place you can feed them easily. That usually means on the sand slightly away from obstructions. Moderate current is good.

In terms of food: Brine shrimp as marine food as a whole is very poor. There is little to no nutrients in it for fish or corals. Unless you use a vitamin supplement with it I would not use it. (Although it is fun to watch them wiggle as their pulled into the mouth. Sorry my sadistic side just came out). I use "prime reef" it is a mixture of meaty foods with some vitamin supplement.

As far as getting them to open. Feed them at the same time everyday for a while. They will memorize the schedule. Now mine open whenever they smell food in the water, including flake. Go figure. If you can't get them to come out, feed them after lights out for a while.

This pic was taken after lights out. So that is part of the reason for the large bloom.

nice pic. i considered getting sun polyps for awhile, but i didn't really like the idea of them staying closed up when everything else was open and opening up when everything else was closed. all of them that i've seen at the lfs have been mostly or completely closed. their orange skeletons are nice looking, but i'd probably have gotten some if i knew they'd open up during the daylight hours... do yours ever just open up during the day for no reason? if so how often?

• 1 month later...

I just saw some today at an LFS. I want to get them but they spoke of the difficulty of feeding them. As far as food goes, I've made a seafood mix comprised of scalops, squids, some crab meat, and shrimp all mixed with some Selcon and phylo. Do you think using a turkey baster with that mix be ok for them?

Hats off to ya. You sun polyp keepers have heart, true reefers if I must say so myself. I on the other hand am way to lazy to keep up with the demanding feeding of these wonderful corals. More power to ya, reef on.

Archived