ReefCleaners.org

Identify quick moving worm?

Pico-Newbie

Pico-Newbie

I need help identifying something in my pico reef. I have a 2.5G setup, which has been running since mid January. The tank is occupied with:

1.5 lbs LS

2.25 LB LR.

2-blue leg hermits

1-scarlet hermit

1-emerald crab

1-peppermint shrimp

2-snails

Lots of pods

Several small stars that have hitchhiked on the LR

I have spent hours observing the tank over the last 4 months and this evening I saw something stick its head out of a hole in the rock then it quickly scooted about 2 inches across the rock and entered another hole. The best I can describe it, it looked like a centipede that was about 1 inch long. I think it had a pincer on the front of the head end. It really took me by surprise because it moved fast. I spent another hour staring at the tank but it never showed up again. Does anyone have an idea what I saw?

I got some too, not sure what they are though, but they are reef safe. I have heaps of bristles too (above) but they are not as fast as the one you described. Hopefully someone else can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Are these things generally colorless when young? I've seen like four things on my LR already, and they kinda look like that. I've tried to get pics, but they're too small and too quick. They look like little centipedes, and they're all white, almost clear.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely sounds like a bristle worm. (Good) BUT if it did have a big pincer on its head, then it could be a Eunice worm, BAD! (look it up)

Wouldn't be hard to get out of a pico, though, so you're in luck.

Archived