Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sneak Peek: nanocustoms 1.70 Series 12g DX

ccjung

Sneak peek at the upcoming nanocustoms 1.70 Series 12g DX featuring ICA. As some of you may know, I have had a 1.70 series on my tank since Dec 2004 and have been quite pleased. With the introduction of the ICA, I feel that this release will be a neat little cube.

Specs

1 x 70w 20000K Aqualine MH Bulb

1 x 70w Fulham Highorse HID Electronic Ballast

1 x Anodized Aluminum Light Assembly

1 x Hammertone Reflector

1 x Nanocustoms 12g DX ventilated heatshield

1 x Nanocustoms ICA Device

Safety Features

1 x Tempered UV glass*

1 x Thermal Cutoff

Coming Soon

1 x LCD Temp Display / Fan controller and or

1 x Reefkeeper Integrated into hood.

There is some concerns about light leak that i have, but i am doing some reading and finding out that the polycarbonate inherently will not transmit light below 300nm range (UV). Still I err on the side of caution and will be developing a fix.

I am quite impressed with the second prototype. Since this isnt on my tank, ive had a chance to tweak and play around with fan configurations and observe the in hood temperatures. Previously, i was experiencing in hood temperatures in the mid 140s. Now I am running in the 120s.

To put that into perspective, most Larnie Editions ship at 100F, Mikeg @ 116F and Rbabys @ 125F.

Let me know what you think

shao-lin nano

That looks amazing! Do you plan on shipping those with 14k/20k bulbs or supplementing them with actinics in the future?

btw, i think i could have done a cleaner job cutting the slot for the ICA :P j/k

Actinics- yeah, I want to use a 24w PC actinic for sunrise/sunset. The MH without actinics definately has enough since its a 20k, but i miss my sunrise and sunsets, and love the glow... My current tank has CCFLs and a T5, but the T5 just gets too hot in there. I plan to use T5s or maybe even CCFLs for sunrise/sunset. The jury is still out...

About the TEC cutting...

Lol, I usually use a dremel, but i took the dremel home. Guess what i Used instead, lol... A soldering iron, hence the gooey mess.

About that "you can do a cleaner job thing..." Come ON man. Everytime i talk to a customer I mention you and how i need you on the team to help kick it into overdrive... Im an engineer who can barely use his hands to make stuff. lol.

Weekends DO work for me too, esp since you are in OC.

Plus, I have a "driver" that can drop parts off to you for tinkerin during the week...

email me if interested.

Chris

steve-

sorry we still havent gotten the new 24s in so no prototypes.

I can tell you that the 2.70 series will be arranged with longitudinal bulbs. Bulbs in different orientation.

I am also kicking around the idea of the 1.150 series for the 24 or even the 12.

Chris

Is nanocustoms working on a 70w metal halide in the 6 gallon?

If so, when will they be out to buy and in about what price range?

Stephane

hey ccjung,

I know this really doesn't have much to do with this thread but...

I've been looking at all your modded nanocubes for quite sometime now and all the work you've been putting into them...and after looking at your work for so long, I'm curious...

Why not just create your own "Nanocube"? What I mean is, totally start from scatch and design your own cube and have it manufactured to sell. Basically, start your own "brand". I think this would really expand the possibilities of the "nanocube" in that you would be able to design your own hood and your own tank... and thus easily solve heat problems, noise problems, UV problems, plumbing problems, space problems...etc, without the limitations of modding already manufactured JBJ nanocubes.

Why buy these "manufactured cubes" only to rip them apart and try to make it better all the while attempting to keep it looking "professional" and "stock". By building your own nanocube with the knowledge and experience you already have, I trully believe that you can significantly increase the efficiency and functionality as well as versatility of your new Nanocubes, while also driving down costs since you will only have to buy what you need and won't have to have "spares" that you have to try to resell. You can have several "versions" of nanocubes like you already have now, except these "versions" would be even sleeker and higher quality than what you are selling now.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion that makes sense to me. I don't mean to insult you or put down your modding business in anyway as I believe its a brilliant idea..but with all the work you put into modding ready-made nanocubes... why not just manufacture your own ultimate Nanocube.

I'm only 16 so I probably don't know what I'm talking about..lol, so I guess this post is more curiosity-driven, however I hope it might inspire you also.

thanks for reading! :)

Thanks for the post pecos,

To be honest, that is in the game plan. This brand seems big here in the world of nano-reef, because its where i "play". I need to build a reputation and part of the business plan is to start by specializing in modifying other existing tanks as well, Via Aqua, MB, Eclipse, etc.

In the long term, i plan on an acrylic 18g with some major light and some integrated features, but we must walk before we run, so im starting with the nanocube.

The other real reason, is that with the quantities needed to manufacture a run of tanks, it would take some hardcore capital, just something i dont have at this time. Any investors?? Lol.

Chris

Chris, I'm telling you, let me design one.

By the way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure there is no UV leakeage from the bulb. It appears that there is no shielding beyond that small pane of glass.

shao-lin nano

A nanocustom brand aquarium would be amazing! All the strenghts of a NanoCube but none of it's weaknesses, you should call the prototype "Blade-NanoCube daywalker".

shao-lin nano

Another thought that nanocustoms probably already thought of but how about a modular tank where equipment, upgrades, accessories are mounted/integrated/installed easily in the configuration desired by the customer yet maintaining a stock/concealed apperance.

Originally posted by shao-lin nano

Another thought that nanocustoms probably already thought of but how about a modular tank where equipment, upgrades, accessories are mounted/integrated/installed easily in the configuration desired by the customer yet maintaining a stock/concealed apperance.

Isn't that the basic idea behind the nanoCUBE? :P Sure, it's not modular, but most end users don't end up on a forum like this looking to PIMP their tank out even more!:D

i would probably buy a nanocustoms tank in a second, but yes, part of the appeal of the nanocube to me and others i think is the "hot rod" aspect...

shao-lin nano

I'll give it a shot...please correct me if I'm wrong and forgive if I misunderstnad nanocustoms' "thermal cutoff". I believe the MH is setup so that it would turn off if it reaches a certain temperature; a predetermined "thermal cutoff". It is to protect the temperature of the tank from rising too high (out of control) in the event the fans or ICA fails.

Did I get it right?

Yes,

The purpose of the Thermal Cutoff is to shut the MH down in the event of fan failure, ICA overheat, or anything else that would put the temperature inside of the hood to dangerous levels.

Its not really for the inhabitants, although that would be an important addition as well.. The main purpose is to protect property and minimize any chance of loss of life or injury from malfunction.

There are many variables out there and its very very important to me that my customers are safe. The same can be applied to powercompacts, but since the MH emits so much heat in such a small area, the intensity of the heat can rise to dangerous levels much quicker.

The TCO basically runs back to the ballast and cuts off AC power until the temperatures reach a preset "reset" point.

Thanks,

Chris

The thermal cut-off is to prevent damage to the bulb itself if I remember correctly. I think that most metal-halide bulbs have a feature like this.

*edit* Ops... nope, looks like he has an additional modification... yea, it'd prevent tank temp from going to high.

A cool feature would be to make a small integrated stand (maybe 3"-6" tall) You could drill the arclyic tank in the bottom, have a drain, run it through icas in the small stand and maybe have some kind of skimmer... with long thing tubes that zig-zaged through the stand at really shallow angles so that there would be a lot of contact time. Then a matching hood could have more open space for lighting and air circulation.

Archived