SaltCritters.com

Recommendations for a 12-20gal nano tank

danmtx

Looking for new tank recommendations.  My goal is to keep the skimmer / filtration completely out of sight.  I am open to glass or acrylic.

I found this today - the "M Tank Complete", which is a 18gal bow front acrylic tank complete with venturi skimmer, lights, and pumps for $300  http://www.northcoastmarines.com/MTANK.htm

They also make a 12gal flat back hex all-in-one system starting at $190.  This looks similar to John Zamboniman's 12gal nano reef.

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/quarantn.htm

Any recommendations?  I am hearing mixed on Tenecor tanks, and CPR Aquatic stopped manufacturing their 13Gal Micro Reef Tank, which included a skimmer based on their bak pak.  http://www.cprusa.com/products/mrtlt3.html

Thanks in advance,

if you want to keep the skimmer/filtration out of sight. why are you even considering those tanks. most people would not recommend a skimmer for a nano due to its small bio-load. one question you must ask yourself is that how many fish do you want to keep in your tank. Im planning on running a 29 gal tank without a skimmer. which is possible with weekly maybe even daily water changes. you can just try buying a standard tank, get some powerheads, and a filter if you want for water surface circulation, live sand, live rock, heater, lights, salt, and water. put everything together and let it cycle. you dont need a skimmer or a filter because your LR and LS will be the bio filter for your system.

Chris Marks is developing an 18 gallon tank.  From what I've heard/read, his quality is Top Notch A+.

I'm waiting to see a picture and get a Price $.  

You may also want to drop him an email.

Typical reef setup, with a pseudo, royal gramma, and maybe a blenny (I'm up to date on the starvation factors of blennies, so its a maybe).  Fiji live rock, a Tonga piece, live sand, and corals.

I am adding the skimmer to slightly extend the weekly water change.  I would not even consider a skimmer on a system less than 12gal, but I break from traditional nano thought and add one on tanks larger than 12 gal.  I realize that the nanos are more complex, and any slight variances (temp, ph, salinity) can have extreme effects.  In my mind, the protein skimmer will minimize these variances.  Plus, it ensures higher water quality for these nano systems.

With all the tanks on the market, I wanted some advice mainly on the type of tank, whether its acrylic or glass.

Thanks to those who have posted so far.

I have the perfect solution for you... Don't use  filter or a skimmer... Or wait for chris to get his 18 gallo tankout... gaber

i have a 10 gal tank. i dont perform a weekly water change every week because i m lazy. most of the time, its a bi-weekly water change. yet my water is still is perfect condition all the time.

• 1 year later...

Do what you're comfortable with. If you adjust your skimmer correctly, no harm will come from having a skimmer on a nano. I'm running a Via Aqua 18 right now with an AquaC Remora (maxijet 1200). My water quality is so perfect I change water about once a month. And sometimes I let it slide. My corals are thriving and I don't have an algae problem.

John

Hmmm, I haven't heard about Chris's 18 gallon package but now I anxiously await to see what that will look like. Perhaps a replacement for my current Eclipse 12 as the 18 would give me *that* much more room.

Somebody stop me now! ;)

Danmtx, you might double check with CPR again. They're making an all in one again (the LT3). You can find them at www.amekaaquatics.com. They aren't cheap, but they are all in one. It's 23 gal. w/2 gal. attached sump, SR2 skimmer, 110w PC included and wired, blah blah blah.

Hope this helps a little.

Archived