inTank Media Baskets

Green Pods?

flaunt

Has anyone seen green pods in their aquarium? Just recently I had an explosion in the pod population (after having hardly any), and while observing them I noticed ONE on the sandbed that looking pretty much like the others but was completely green. don't ask me what kind of pods they are, because i don't think i can ID them.

printerdown01

I've had some large green pods (commonly reffered to as green amphipods, eventhough many are actually green copepods -really hard to distinguish w/ the naked eye). Anyway, mine never went through a pop explosion... But oceanrider.com actually sells a species of green amphipod...

-hope this helps in your journy,

Anthony

Copepods are usually very small (1-2 mm), very quick swimmers. Amphipods look kind of like laterally compressed centipedes and regulary reach 8 mm, though they are usually curled up and running around on the LR/LS.

What do you mean by pods? Copepods, etc. or do you just mean green round grape looking things in the sence of pea pod or cacoon. If the later, it may be Valonia Bubble Algea. This is not very good to have and should be delt with.

thanks for the replies...

i was referring to "pods" as in copepods, amphipods, etc. sorry for the confusion, although i do happen to have a few places with that bubble algae. X) i've only had it show up on two frags, both of which were GSPs and both of which came from different individuals. i ended up completey removing the one frag and this other one just recently started developing a few bubbles that i plan to cut off the rock (i'll take the rock out and cut pieces of the rock out where it's attached). this is totally off topic but does that bubble algae have a thing for GSPs? i have 2-3 other frags (xenia, zoos and such) from each of the people who gave me valonia-infested GSP frags and none of them developed it.

Archived