inTank Media Baskets

RO and Water?

Dustin

I am so lost about the whole process of RO and DI and all this water stuff. I can get some water from a freind that i think is RO and whatnot, and he also can give it to me with the salt in it and everything. I however wonder if I can purchase an RO unit for a small amount of money. Please explain the process to a degree where i can comprehend why it is needed, can you go to the grocery store and get about 100 gallons of distilled water (i.e. Deer Park, Aquafina, Evian)

distilled water is usually available at supermarkets and drug stores and will run you about a buck or so per gallon. If you need 100 gallons, you might as well invest in an R/O unit. Check the threads for Blane's post on his ro set-up as it will show, in detail, how they run.

I was wandering around the hardware store this weekend and happened on this system. It's was actually on sale for $150, but I was on a "honey do" mission so I wasn't about to bring home more toys.

RO system at Lowes

Seems like a good deal for the money even at the regular price.

Salim

...and don't forget the importance of D.I. for phosphate removal (like I did). I've got an RO system that doesn't touch the phosphates in my water supply - I've got a tank full of freakin' algae as a result.

Sort of embarrassing when you're trying to show a friend your trumpet coral, and all he says is, "what's that cool-lookin' green slime on your rock?".

I'm getting this guy in about a week or so - he sells for $55.99 and can be added in-line to my system.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/shop2/shop2p...912762&siteid=6

I have the same unit that is sold at Lowes but I got it at Costco for a little less. Has been going strong for 3 years now. Thsy are assembled here in Phoenix about 1/3 mile from my home. I have been to their facility and was actually lucky enough to trade them my unopened Costco membrane for a 75 gallon per day unit for $35 more! Great people to deal with.

Originally posted by ross76053

...and don't forget the importance of D.I. for phosphate removal (like I did).  

I'm getting this guy in about a week or so - he sells for $55.99 and can be added in-line to my system.

Yeah ... ditto that! I got a Kent Hi-S 175GPD and have TONS of algae! I saw the one above at drfosterssmith.com, but found one at marinedepot for $25! It is just a white canister with those compression fittings in the end. I just cut my line to my faucet mounted on the sink and placed it inline. Works like a champ and I saved some cash!

not sure if im misunderstanding your explain or whatnot but the DI should be connected to the product water of the RO unit, as the final stage. Otherwise your just going to exhaust DI cartridges very quickly.

Originally posted by Fant

not sure if im misunderstanding your explain or whatnot but the DI should be connected to the product water of the RO unit, as the final stage. Otherwise your just going to exhaust DI cartridges very quickly.

Yes ... I have my RO feeding one of those "spiffy" filtered water faucets (not the main one) and the DI is between the RO Out and the faucet.

i found a new toy i want! here you go ill show you:P

http://www.innovativeaquatics.com/products...lieutenant.html

any ideas on where i can get some really clean water, i will need about 55 gallons and dont wanna spend a ton on water....

I can get my other water for the normal changes and water evap. but i need a way of getting water to start off with, the water i will be getting is a RO/DI together and it is super clean, i get it all for free.

Originally posted by Dustin

i found a new toy i want! here you go ill show you:P  

That kinda takes the fun out of it, no?

You mentioned you have a friend willing to give you RO/DI water. Couldn't you do a bunch of 5gal bucket runs? Yes, it's a b!tch. Welcome to the hobby. :happy:

my freind lives about 30 minutes away, i would spend enough on gas and 5 gallon buckets with lids as i would on buying an RO unit, my dad plays tennis with this guy once a week so thats where I would get all my water, im thinking 4 5 gallon buckets a week?

Archived