Pod Your Reef

Worm ID. Unable to find something like it by searching

lostdog

I'm not too familiar with worms, but this guy is a hardy sucker. I'm tearing down my 10g (which has been mostly dead for over a year) and as I'm getting the gravel cleared out, I find this worm. The pic isn't the best (I've done some post sharpening to try and help) and I'll try to get a better up soon, I just want to know what this is. It's irridescent, though has a red sheen to it, about 2.5 inches long when it isn't stretched out. It doesn't have "feet" like I've seen in the bristleworm pictures, but it does have little bristlelike things that come out when it stretches out. Also, around its mouth are little "fingers". I'm moving my stuff to a new 20g tank, so I want to know if it's safe to move this over. Thanks.

worm.jpg

ProFlatlander15

i would not keep it. it looks like a eunice or fire worm to me, which are not fun. good thing you got it out.

Well, I guess I'm wrong, as I was able to see in better photos, his bristles do appear like legs, so I guess its a bristleworm. The question is still if he's a good thing to have in the tank.

worm2.jpg

can't remember the name, but looks like one of the many carniverous worms. will eat crustations, snails, crabs, shrimp, fish if it can catch one, and quite possibly even corals. i would say get rid of it.

Thanks guys. This thing will not be making the move to my new tank. Two years being in my 10g, and I never saw the thing. Glad I didn't get ahold of it while I was moving the rock over.

Archived