ReefCleaners.org

4x36W 24g NC to 70W MH & 126W PCs

shao-lin nano

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artarmon42
Originally posted by shao-lin nano

Great idea with the "mountain" casting shade on one side.  I'll look into that.  Have to find interestingly shaped LR first.

Check out Premium Aquatic's Marshall Island Nano.

That and their Kaelini nano rock are the only ones I'd consider nowadays.

shao-lin nano

haven't had time to test temps again

coming up on finals and this past long weekend sucked since i had to work through it. i'll for sure test temps with PCs off and PCs out to test your theory.

i will be living really close to Jeff's Exotic Fish once I move and they have good prices on their LR...I'll probably hit up several lfs also to gather bits and peices. I want to see and touch them before purchasing.

shao-lin nano

Here is a picture of the splash guard with a glass plate installed under the MH.

The glass pane is 8x10 from home depot for under $2.

13594glass_shield.jpg

So as you can probably tell the glass does not affect the lighting.

shao-lin nano

Just saw the new 2005 24g NanoCubes.

When I first heard about the new version I was hoping that I would not hate myself for having the "old" version. After seeing the new upgraded splash guard I'm not convinced that I would be happier with the new version. It looks like the splash guard tapers in towards the rear. Chris mentioned it will not house the standard 36W bulb towards the rear.

After comparing the "new" and the "old" I'm happy with mine and the lights I've installed :)

artarmon42
Originally posted by Web Guy

I had a long MH discussion at the LFS today. And part of it was about that subject.

Yo, Web!

Don't leave us in suspense!!

:pirate:

shao-lin nano

I tested the tank's temps again with all the same conditions as the previous test except for the lighting. I had the MH on and one 36W PC on, the rest of the bulbs were left inside the hood but remained off.

I began with Tank Temp: 78.3; Ambient: 78.6.

Finished with Tank Temp: 79.0; Ambient: 80.4.

Today was slightly cooler than the first test day but results show a significantly lower increase in water temp with the other lights off. The tank rose less than one degree over a 4.5 hr test time.

I will pass on testing the same setup w/o bulbs in and begin my cycle soon.

Hopefully in the near future you guys will see me post pics of livestock instead of mods and upgrades :happy:

Originally posted by shao-lin nano

I tested the tank's temps again with all the same conditions as the previous test except for the lighting.  I had the MH on and one 36W PC on, the rest of the bulbs were left inside the hood but remained off.

I began with Tank Temp: 78.3; Ambient: 78.6.

Finished with Tank Temp: 79.0; Ambient: 80.4.

Today was slightly cooler than the first test day but results show a significantly lower increase in water temp with the other lights off.  The tank rose less than one degree over a 4.5 hr test time.  

I will pass on testing the same setup w/o bulbs in and begin my cycle soon.

almost exactly the same temp. increase as mine! its good to have replications so others know what they should be seeing. i'm still out of town or i would have more updates on my tank...being away this long is freaking me out!

when i get back i will try different fan setups and add a reflector. what material did you use for yours, shao-lin?

oh, and covering the front flap and the fan centers was inspired. i'm sure they add a little benefit by reflecting the light that shines back up from the top of the water...

shao-lin nano

the reflector was purchased from marinedepot.com. it's a 2x2 sheet. i'm suer you can just get any reflector and cut it up to fit.

so when are you back in town? i'm about to start my tank and it'd be awsome to share results w/ someone that has similar setup. we should start up a thread for 24g MH equipment setup and another for livestock.

Archived