Coral Vue Hydros

Flame Angels

rhinoivory

rhinoivory

What are the tank requirements of keeping a flame angel? I heard they grow small and many have said to leave it to a 30 gallon tank, but what do you all think? Have any of you kept a flame angel in your nano, any experiences?

Don

(Edited by rhinoivory at 11:07 am on July 4, 2002)

(Edited by rhinoivory at 2:19 pm on July 4, 2002)

i hear they die VERY easily, most the people i know cant kepp tem alive more than about a month, and they are the best reefers I know

From what I know they are very easy to get sick in low PH, I suggest you keep the ph at 8.2 to 8.4 and never let it drop lower than 8.2.  And make sure it eats before you buy it.

GOOD LUCY

I had one in my 125, but it died after a month..... He had gotten white spots..... the next day he died :(  And, I had planned on buying meds the next day.  They are a very beautifulf fish, though.  Mine was a male and had great coloring.

First and formost I wish Chris yould yank that d*mn Centropyge section out of his "commonly kept nano safe fish list". Everything else is great, but CENTROPYGES HAVE NO PLACE IN NANOS! Yes it is possible and so is a shoulder tang but is a bad idea.

Like the mandarin the flame is extremely popular due to it's coloration and also like the mandarin it is misunderstood and the owners can (inadvertantly) kill it. ALL centropyges (possibly accepting c. argi) require over 30, really at least a 55 gallon tank for starters. The other crucial point is that you add a centropyge to a well established tank (running smooth for a year). This should help with its diet and also provides an environment for maximum health and stability. They are very sensitive IMO, and the collection methods of recent years seem to be causing much more stress to them than before.

Those buggers are like so d*mn expensive over here.

A plate coral for example costs £29, well one of these fishes cost about £65 which is about $100 !!!

Anyway, they look pretty cool but I wouldnt be getting one if thats the survival rate in aquariums.

Archived