SaltCritters.com

2.5 prop/ growout /frag tank questions

burnah

i have a spare 2.5 gallon tank lying around with some 12 watt-T5 light. i would like to put some very small sps frags in there for growing them. my question is: what do i have to put in there? i plan on using a filter inside the tank with carbon and zeovit, a very small intank-skimmer and some of this pvc-grid so the corals are not on the bottom. the filter is labeled to put out about 75 gallons per hour. would this be enough?

also i would like to know whether i should put in some liverock or not, i guess i should but i do not want to have big pieces in there so i would like to know if it is enough to have some rubble in there just for the seeding of the water and for bacteria-filtration.

any other ideas?

sounds fine to me, but id prefer some sort of random water movement.

if it is truly a frag only tank a layer of live sand should be fine but rubble never hurt either

IMO A 2.5 gallon sps propagation tank lit by T5's is pretty useless. The growth rate of sps under T5 is very low, besides the fact that you can't fit more than 10 frags in a 2.5 gallon. I wouldn't propagate in anything less than 20 gallons, even if you have it just lying around. Look into rubbermaid propagation systems. That was my original propagation system and worked great or look into a used 20 long.

well my other t5 setup grows sps quite good, so i dont fear having too little light... my concern was about if i needed lr or if i could just use fresh SW and throw the frags in there...

Archived