Innovative Marine Aquariums

PC Question

Pgreco

I have the AGA 55W PC and a 36W PC(from AH supply). They are both sitting over my 15 gallon with an AGA glass canopy. I was thinking of removing the glass canopy for better gas exchange. Only problem is the AGA light says in BOLD, do not use over open water. Is that becasue it is not shielded, If this is the case I would like to know what type of material I could use for shielding so i can have these over open water.

My old PC's came with a thin piece of acrylic, which I think filters less light than glass. I now have my PC about 4" off the water with no shield. AGA has to put the warnings on for liablity reasons, and you do have to be prepared for some corrosion, and be careful of not dropping your lights in the water, or splashing them. Also, if you don't use a shield, you'll get salt creep on your lights, and need to wipe them occasionally.

HTH

Instead of removing the glass alltogether why don't you try just moving it up a bit while still keeping it between the lighting and the tanks. Perhaps you could attach some spacers on the bottom of the glass or inside the hood. That way you can get the gas exchange your looking for as well as the safety of a shield.

Just a thought

Salim

I have the same problem with my 2 x 55w PC's. I dont want glass or acrylic over my water because I dont want to prevent gas exchange. So I looked around and found this screen that lets air and light through but not water. I will be fitting the screen to my hood this weekend.

Archived