Pod Your Reef

LED array on my pico

neanderthalman

neanderthalman

I've got the LEDs in groups of three. If one goes out, two others burn out. It all depends on how you wire it. They can be wired so that if an LED goes out, it doesn't affect the others, but it takes more wiring, and requires dropping resistors.

neanderthalman

the LEDs are amazing, check out the link, there's a before and after pic comparing some of my zoos under PC lighting and under the LEDs. BIG DIFFERENCE. I'm building a larger and brighter custom hood, but it'll be at least a few weeks. I was limited in size on this project 'cause I was trying to keep the existing hood.

As far as how well corals grow under them...I havent found much saying yes or no, and I haven't had them long enough to see for myself. As to whether or not it could work, there's no reason that it shouldn't. I keep imagining the first people to try mounting MH over their reefs. People must have thought they were crazy at the time. Maybe LEDs will take off and be the next big thing, at least on smaller tanks. I don't know, but I intend to find out.

neanderthalman

I will be, but I'm not getting anything particularly difficult - I want this to be a very easy tank, but when I eventually start a new tank, it will be much bigger, with more expensive corals...I'm a student on a budget, so....money for SPS is kinda tight. I get most of my corals from a local club, and I get way better prices than at the LFS. I even got a Xenia stalk for free (go figure :P), but it didn't make it - my mushroom died and poisoned it.

neanderthalman

Doing great, I had a few that were somehow damaged by the overvoltage, and had gone dim - they've burnt out completely now. The rest are still going fine. So far all of the problems I've had are because of one crappy power supply.

mushroom head

I might have a pico with a azoo palm filter for a refugium.Im going to need to make LED lighting for the refugium.How much did your LED ligthting cost?

neanderthalman

Total cost was about twenty bucks, plus the time to build it. I already had the acrylic and solder and a power supply though. My estimate would be that you could do it for under forty bucks, including buying a cheap soldering iron. You would need a drill, however.

Archived