Cultivated Reef

need advice on 6 gal nano

btodd

Hey fellow nano people- I was just wanting to see If any body has any answers to my dilemma- I have a nano reef tank (live rock,sand,some coral frags,5 small hermits,5 small snails, 1 bi-color blenny,and a maroon clown) We did the proper cycling and when it was ready we put in the snails,then about once a week we put in something new.Now for my questions- I have the fast test test kit with calcium,ph,alk,ammonia.When I first started testing the calcium was 470,the alk was 3.7,and the ph was always way under 8.0. So I kept an eye on it did a 1 1/2 gal water change 3 times a week,put phos-ban in (because the algae was getting bad) and noticed the calcium dropping. So I got the calcium concentrate and added it and it slowly came up, the ph was still staying the same,and then the alk started to go down too much so I got the alk buffer and added it, and it raised it, so I got the ph buffer and added it and it came up,but then the alk went up to 5.4. It seems like I'm playing cat and mouse here.So I did a water change again hoping the alk will go down.Everything else is great so far- the temp is 78,the ammonia is 0 the nitrate is 0 the nitrite is 0, the ph is now right at 8.0.and the calcium is 405.Is ther ever a time when everything gets right ? I am trying to keep a tight schedule on feeding,testing,changing the carbon,water changes ect. Hopefully some one out there knows or has been through this and can send me a line -Thanks B.Todd

Archived