Top Shelf Aquatics

questions about a buble and candy cane coral in a 2.5

cjm033

hey everybody i was thinking of gettn a bubble and candy can coral in my 2.5. i am planning the tank to have mostly softies ( a variety of zoos,polyps,shrooms,and other softies) these will be kept under 1 13 watt 50/50 10 k pc. my main question is would the 1 13 watt be enough for the buble and or candy cane a know that its best to feed these corals everyonce in a while (once or twice a week) which i coud do if you have any other tip or info on keeping these 2 corals it would be greatly apprectiated,Chris

the light might be too low imo. 2x13w would be better. i'd skip the bubble because of it's sweepers but the candy cane should be nice. altho it may not get along in such a small system with the shrooms.

try the zoos first, then polyps, and then stony. the last one will grow the slowest and be the most sensitive so i suggest it last.

thanks i was thinking of another 13 wattt if i can find another retrofit kit or sumhing like those book worm lights i plan on adding the buble last if i get it away from everything elese do to the sweepers im not sure if im doin the buble yet but for sure im doin the candy cane thanks for your input,Chris

No prob. If you want another cool looking LPS, have you considered any of the Euphyllia? You could get a frag of a torch or frogspawn, would look very cool. Of course, they can put out sweepers too, but they're not warhawks like bubbles are. I would definitely add another 13w fixture though.

ya i mite add another 13 watt i found these things at wal mart for $10 like book worms except there so big i dont htink that they would fit in a canopy im thinking of buying 2 of those and goin ot petsmart and buying a 13 watt 6500k bulb and use one of my 50/50's,Chris

printerdown01

I would avoid bubble and Euphillia spp... But candy cane will be just fine. Make sure you add small amounts of calcium and bi-carbonate consistantly. Candy cane can grow quickly, and will deplete your calcium levels quickly especially in such a small tank. Adding lots of calcium will cause problems in the tank, so a small consistant dossing would be your solution... :-D hope this helps. BTW this is only my opinion, if you do consistant water changes it might even be enough for the candy cane; this is simply what I would do...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with printer, the Euphillia can do as much damage as anything. I'm not familiar with Candy Cane though so I can't comment on that. You could try some Montipora if you want a SPS, it sure seems to grow fast and I love the look. I was moving my one frag of Monti last week and I didn't notice my wife had moved a chalk board and I walked into it and smashed the Monti, my one large frag (colony) quickly turned into 8 smaller frags. Once I got them glued to some rock they settled in and opened up in no time. Less than a week later I see obvious growth on the breaks, not signs of new growth... Im talking about 1/8th inch of new growth in less than a week. The breaks were all clean and now they are rounded and have new polyps and have already started growing towards the light.

hmmm im thinking about maby getn a montipora for the 2.5 now since im getn the 2 13 watts for sure now if you have ne info on em please post thanks,Chris

Archived