Cultivated Reef

Dwarf fuzzy lionfish

e D

I want to get one for my 67 gallon tank that i'm setting up soon but i also want to keep corals and other fishes. Most people say they are reef safe so i'm not scared of putting corals in the tank but i'm scared that it will eat my fishes. I want to keep a school of anthias, 6 line wrasse, yellow watchman goby, firefish goby, true percula, fire angelfish, cleaner shrimps, and blood shrimps. Also, id' have a hermit crab and snail clean up crew. Sounds a bit overstocked but i'm not going to get all of them, those are just what i am considering. Will they be okay with the lionfish? Thanks.

it is my understanding that the lion will eat pretty much anything that he can fit in his mouth. that means that your clown goby is definately a quick snack. the firefish and shrimp will probably be next. the rest should be ok for a while but lions are agressive so he may bully them around a bit. (that is, until he can eat them too). i don't have any personal experience with any of this, but i was considering getting a fuzzy dwarf and decided not to for the sake of the other inhabitants in my tank.

jenniebutterfly

i had my dwarf lion in my 36 gallon with my false perc. for 4 months, he was fine, i also had a coral banded shrimp in there. i only just took out the clown fish to put in my 29 gallon but left the shrimp in the tank with the lion. the best thing is to make sure you train it onto frozen food. live feeder goldfish are bad for them. you could keep it with a clown, and some wrasses. but my lion is pretty timid. he does not mess with much, and my clown who is only about 2-2 1/2" scared him away from food most of the time. just be careful, and keep an eye on it, and the sooner you train it to frozen the better.

jenniebutterfly

basically i got 10 feeders when i got the lion. every other day i fed him 2 of them. then i waited three days and tryed some frozen krill. feeder stick did not work for me, they can see it and feel it in the water. i just dumped some krill in and he went up to it, he did not eat it though. it took a few days of this before he ate it, but when they get hungry they will eat :D

what type of feeders do you feed it? I know freshwater feeder fish are bad for saltwater fishes. It sounds i have to buy the dwarf fuzzy lionfish first if i want to train it huh? I doubt that i could put food in front of it and not have the other fish steal it all. Would it be wiser to get the lionfish first or last? I dont want it to think it rules the tank and harass any other fish i add to it afterwards. Thanks.

jenniebutterfly

i got mine last, i used fresh water feeders for the first 5 feedings, that was what it was being fed. after that it was krill, brine, and mysis. but yes they are bad, but that is usually what they are being fed at the lfs

jenniebutterfly

my lion is about 4" my clown is 2" but i have removed him because my 36 is now my husbands tank, and he did not liek the clown. the coral banded shrimp is full size with a body length of about 2-3"

I used to have a fuzzy dwarf too. It was my favorite fish I have ever had, always glad to see you ya know.

I fed mine 1/4 cube frozen mysis every other day using bbq tongs or tweezer to hold it till he would gulp down the food in one bite.

The only time yould ever have a prob is if you miss a feeding. Mine decided to eat a clown when i forgot to feed him one time.

Besides that they are one of the freindliest fish around just be carefull when cleaning because they can get a little too friendly...

I know theyre venomous too, is that ever a problem for you guys? Sounds like i'll have to keep up with my water changes since i'm going to have clowns and anthias in my tank. Thanks for the information guys, i'm just trying to take every precaution before getting this sucker.

Yea thats what I ment by too friendly.

Its story time kids>>>...Once apon a tank cleaning I wasnt watching what I was doing, and when I placed my hand in the tank my little friend came up to say hello(unbenounced to me)and I got 3 nice injections of venom from my buddies back spines into the palm of my hand. Needless to say I was in alot of pain due to this encounter.

Lion fish poison is a pain cuz you can feel it burning as it moves thru your veins until it is eventually diluted/filtered by your liver, or treated. I just toughed it out and used my other hand to finish tank cleaning after I was done flipping out that I was just poisoned.

sounds pretty painful. I heard its just a little worse than a bee sting. Won't these badboys attack other fishes with their stingers? Howd you treat your arm? Just left it alone like a beesting?

jenniebutterfly

they really don't attack with them, they are there for their protection, and if a fish is bothering them they will point them towards that fish. i have never been stung, you have to know where they are at all times. pay attention :D and when i do major work on my tank, i remove him to a 5.5 gallon tank for his and my safety :D

I dont think any one has died from a lion sting, if you have allergies and keep a lion than keep a epi pen on hand.

I do have allergies to bees and have been stung by one of my volitans, it is painful but I did not have a reaction like I do with bee stings.

Lions however can sting fish and fish can die from the sting, I lost my kole tang to this, it was harassing one of my zebras and was stung. The kole turned very pale (Grey White Color) and died with in an hour of the sting. Lions are very docile and non aggressive unless harassed.

Hey darkspyda, where is this LFS that sells those small lionfish at? I wanna go get one of them 1/2 inch ones! they sound perfect for my tank. Are they the dwarf fuzzy type?

Archived