ReefCleaners.org

Colti ID

klagos

I have had this for over a year. It is some type of colti and it was tiny when I got it. Just looking for the specific name.

sinularia

JK. Thats the catchall genus for un-idable softies. they are just too similar to get an exact species ID. Can you get a pic of it with it's polyps closed? How about a closer pic of the individual polyps?

on a side note, is colti the same as colt? just wondering.

I think that colti is the more scientific name for that species of coral. My LFS said it was in the colti family and we looked it up and he showed me the word. There are eight "fingers" on each polyp. When closed, they retract into the body completely and it looks like a white blob with maroon rings. Any other ideas?

i think 75% of corals are octocorals, eight tentacles on polyps. all the alcyoniums are octos.

yours looks like a typical "colt coral". most colt-like corals have identical care procedures so exact species id is usually unnecessary.

outward appearance cannot definitively tell you species other than something radical like a goniopora vs. alveopora (two non-octocorals btw), 12 vs. 24 tentacles.

That's what I meant, the need for a pinule count.

Actually, I'm crapptastic at softies and cant remember 1/2 of what Ive read/heard of them. I'd contact Adam Chelensee (I spelled his last name horribly wrong btw) at wetwebmedia.com with a pic of the open and closed, and sloe up pics to see if he has a clue. he gave a pretty good octocoral speech at the midwest marine conference in april and seems to know a good deal.

good luck

Archived