Innovative Marine Aquariums

Heaters

qsails

I have a 50w in an 18 gallon

I now that this is small. Is that why the heat in my tank is bouncing between 77-83 ?

thank god it is cycling.

when the lights went on the tank was 80, at noon the tank was 77, now at 7:45 it is 83. My guess is that I should get a more powerfull heater. am I right?

Usually 3-5 watts a gallon will be ok with the higher wattage heaters (within reason) being capable of dealing with changes faster. A 100w would fix your problem pretty easy and it won't be too much larger. I prefer EboJager or Acura heaters personally.

BTW, what brand is your 50w heater?

Cameron

Just keep in mind next time you buy a heater - the Ebo Jagers (or any models) are dirt cheap, and the cost difference in a 50W, 75W & 100W model is just a few bucks.

Has anyone tried using 2 heaters and setting one a few degrees lower than the other. this way if the temp drops too fast the second heater should kick in and you have a backup if one of the heaters fail.

Has anyone tried using 2 heaters and setting one a few degrees lower than the other. this way if the temp drops too fast the second heater should kick in and you have a backup if one of the heaters fail.

I use two 75w heaters in my planted 29 gallon. Although, I have them both set to the same temp. My reasoning was in case on ever broke I'd have a spare already in place ready to pick up the slack.

Salim

Archived