Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Random SPS frag

The Empiricist

The Empiricist

So I love this tiny frag I got from the ever terrible Dallas North Aquarium. They don't get why anyone would want trash like frags and they sell them for nearly nothing with a few eye rolls. In this, I can't complain about their ignorance. I orginially got it in sorry shape and as I recently got a better understanding of water quality it's shown incredible polyp extension and, recently, growth. Yeah! So what is it? When recieved, it had no polyp extension for a month. The only time the polyps retract now is with excessive tank movement (water change) or crab harassment. For ID purposes I carefully scared it ala pipette. Doesn't look like any SPS I commonly see sold. It's about 3/4 inch right now.

unidefntifiedsps.gif

by the amount of polyp extension it looks similar to a pocillopora. but you can't ever really be sure of an ID on sps without skeletal analysis via microscope. :D

The Empiricist

Sure, here's the most decent one I took. I would be willing to get a better one if it would really help, though I don't wanna bother the poor guy again. Still not so good at macro photography. In actuality, it's got a blue tint on the retracted skeleton but not nearly as much so as this image. Mostly it's a pleasant tan which has been becoming slightly purple-brown due surely to decent lighting exposure.

retractedsps.gif

Archived