SaltCritters.com

ID this Stowaway crab

ebacherville

ebacherville

Ok I was sitting there watching my cleaning crew do there thing.. and saw a stowaway crab.. He is about the size of a dime.. and has molted a couple of times.. we saw the molt in the tank and removed it.. that time it was really smal and we thought it just may have been on our rock.. but then we saw another molt.. this time bigger...

But then we actually saw the crab.. we could never get a good photo of him.. untill today, we were looking for the emerald crab.. becuase he is always so active.. and here is the stow away on the heater... out of the water.. just sitting there..

So when i got the camera he had crawled under the filter and so i wiggles the heater cord.. and he dived undr the surface of the water and then this is where i snapped the photo..

As seen in the picture he is kind of brown patterned.. and right now about the size of a dime from leg to leg..

Looks like some sort of Xanthid variety of crab from the shape of the body. Probably not the greates thing to have in a reef from what I've read. I did some research because I have a similar hitchhiker. Do a search for Xanthid and see if that looks like your guy.

ebacherville

Hmm I cant really tell.. He is really small stil and all our sanils and crabs are accounted for.. SO he hasnt seemed to be mean so far.. he is really skidish at this point.. and thing moving near him and he scaters and hides.. SO im not to worried at this point..

I couldn't beilive when i saw him out of the water andf top of the heater.. Maybee he will try that again and fall out of the tank... to his death.

Hey I have the same guy who stowe away in my live rock from Hawaii I have one of those and one smaller one in the same shape but the smaller one is a different color. The other one is a greyish color with black spots.... Does anyone what that might be?

-Oscar

when i use to live in hawaii i would always go down to the tide pools and find these guys put them in a bucket and show them to my mom!

• 2 weeks later...
ebacherville

YEp thats what he looks like.. anything i should worry about?

Havent seen him in days.. he hides good..

Definitely NOT a sally light foot. (Why does everyone always think everything is a slf?) Generally, take out ANY crab like these, just in case. More often than not, they'll f*k with everything in the tank.

Alexraptor

I would definatley take him out, from what i know Shore Crabs are opportunistic Predators.

considering the species he is you might be able to fish him out if you find him hard to get at. i used to goto the west coast here in sweden and sometimes fish those suckers with a string and a piece of clam meat tied on the end ;)

Archived