SaltCritters.com

Halogen, will it grow cheato?

Chronicles

Chronicles

I was looking for submersible lights, all I run across are halogens. Will they work for cheato?

20w

Dimensions: 2-1/2" square base, 2-1/2" high, 2" O.D. lens

HF20WLight2.jpg

You trying my filter mod by any chance? ;)

I use 10w of halogen to grow my chaeto and it works great! I don't know how much heat that 20w bulb will add to your water but you should be fine as long as your tank is big enough. My two 5w bulbs keep 3gals of water at a steady 78degrees.

Cheers,

- Chad

artarmon42

That's a good point Fish.

Putting lights into the water would have more direct heat transfer.

Didn't Steelhealr do that? Wonder if he measured temps...

Whoa, I am just going off of memory and I am not 100% sure. It will also make a difference based on your water volume etc. I don't want to talk anyone out of giving it a shot. All I know is that my operating temp is perfect right now but before I added the lights, it looked like it was too cold for marine and I was drawing up plans for a heater. Bear in mind too that you can just get a single bulb and that would still grow chaeto just fine. Unfortunately, my tank is stocked and I can't go shutting it off now to see how much it drops.

Finally, even though I am using 70w mh over a two gallon tank, my lighting adds almost no heat (2degrees) to my tank. I think your lighting set up likely has a greator impact than that. If this is the case, plug your submersible lights into a timer and run them on a reverse schedule to your main lighting. I think that might do the trick. HTH.

- Chad

artarmon42

I'd be very interested in a submersible light, simply because I can't stand the crazy light spill over. I've got a 7W, weather striping up the wahzoo, and still the display chamber is too bright at night for my tastes.

Others run the fuge light with the main light, but I believe that causes too significant a pH and oxygen swing (never measured it, just going off what I've read). So I'm really interested in running it 7x24.

But at 5-6 degree increase (before this I would have guessed 2-3 degrees myself), that's too much a price to pay ;) My tank inhabitants will just have to live with being in a reef next to NY or LA or Vegas (where the night lights never dim :P).

You know your system best. I would still give it a shot if I were you though. Try running a single 5w bulb (should be half the temp as mine) and on a reverse schedule to your main tank (your tank probably cools at night anyways).

I understand what your saying about ph and o2 swings. Because my cannister lights are on 24/7 I no longer keep any algae in the main tank (= no swing when the main lights come on/off).

You could keep a bit of decorative algae in your main to offset the swing when your main lights go out and your fuge lights come on. JMO

Final point and I'll shut up. If you have 12gal of water in your system, it can probably dissapate the heat generated by 5 or 10watts of halogen a lot better than my 3gal of water can...

Chronicles

I only run my 13w with the main lights since I can't stand the spillover. When I shut my lights off last night I saw the tank was at a new high, 83.7F ??? It's never gone over 81, but yesterday it was about 80 in here, A/C wasn't on. So if it does add 5-6F, that's really out of the question. I almost bought a titan chiller last night on ebay, kinda the same thing I want to build, but in a better package.

I have a 24g Nano DX with a refuge in the 2nd chamber. I have some small pieces of LR and Halmedia in their with an Egglite pond light. My heat seems fine, never gets to 80, usually about 77-78 but my tank is a little bigger to dissapate the heat. Its been a couple weeks and the Halmedia is still green. Although I am thinking about finding some Chaeto and trying that instead.

Just in case anyone else is looking for the light Chronicles found, I stumbled into it at Harbor Freight, of all places. (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Cate...=733&pricetype=)

At $7.99, I figured that was a buy now and ask questions later kind of item!

david

Originally posted by Chronicles

I was looking for submersible lights, all I run across are halogens. Will they work for cheato?

20w

Dimensions: 2-1/2" square base, 2-1/2" high, 2" O.D. lens

Archived