Innovative Marine Aquariums

Supplemental sun light

sjpresley

Now that it is fall and the sun is low, I have the option of leaving the blinds up in my office to let about 3-4 hours of sunlight come to hit about half of my 10G nano. It isn't full sunlight as it passes through the bare branches of a couple trees before even getting to the window. I have let this happen a few times on the weekend and it doesn't apprear to raise the temp more than 1/2 degree (if at all). (I'm going to K-mart after the football games are over to look for the $10 wonder digital thermometer.)

Has anyone let such light come in on their nano. Did you notice appreciable increase in algal growth or temperature. Did it have a positive affect on your corals?

I don't know that extra algal growth will be a problem I feed nori as it is to help satisfy my tiny Mythrax and Centropyge.

I have noticed an apparent increase in the size of my red-brain during these times.

I would greatly appreciate any input from those that have tried this.

Thanks,

my tank sits on a ledge in front of a window. the tank gets morning light until about 11:30 everyday. Once I put the refugium on the back of the tank, some of the sunlight was blocked but I have massive caulerpa growth with no light over the fuge.

The heat in the summer is a ***** (pretty bad in the cold months too) but a chiller worked for me this past summer.

Archived