SaltCritters.com

(gasp) my PCs wont turn on

kwyjibo

I have an Ahsupply 2x36 PC retro kit in one of their custom 10 gal hoods and it didnt turn on this morning. When I looked at the wiring I noticed that the black wire coming from the ballast had come loose from the wire nut. So, like any unconcerned consumer I just unplugged the ballast and re-connected the wires with the wire nut. After plugging it back in, one of the fuses in my house went out. Oops... maybe I should have been more careful.

Anyways, so I have no backup light solution on hand. However, there is my AB 250W Spacelight which I have been saving for my new tank. How bad an idea is it to use it over my 10 gal?

It's either I go w/o lights for the next few days, or I cook my 10 gallon.

Any words of advice from the seasoned vets would be appreciated.

Well, I would make darn sure its real high above your 10 gallon for sure, maybe even angled to the side so you don't cook em.

Of course, you might find you and the corals love 25 watts per gallon!

Peace, Bryan

I'd be concerned with your corals having to acclimate to the (much) higher lighting, then having to readjust back to the PCs once you get the problem resolved. Have you phoned AH Supply? They're pretty good with costomer service. Maybe they could walk you through the fix, or even replace the fixture if something is defective.

Thanks for the responses.

I have decided to give my corals a fighting chance at surviving so I busted out the AB spacelight.

It's hot and you can feel that it's hot when you put your hand underneath the light.

Anyways, the corals seem fine for the most part since I put the spacelight on top of two paper towel rolls.

The light is about a foot away from the surface of the water.

Plus the light's ntensity is further diminished by my glass cover.

My only problem so far is that the light cant be on for more than 2 hours or the tank temperature goes past 83 degrees and it normally runs about 80 degrees.

I hope AHsupply has a pretty speedy resolution for this one.

Originally posted by kwyjibo

Anyways, the corals seem fine for the most part since I put the spacelight on top of two paper towel rolls.

Hehe, Keep those towels damp to lessen the fire hazzard :)

*couldn't resist*

Peace, Bryan

LOL!

I know, I know. You and my girlfriend said the same thing.

I have it set now so that it only comes on when I'm at home.

It's okay though. I have a fire extinguisher sitting right at the stair case ready to go.

Plus the 2 hours that it's on doesnt let it heat things up enough to warrant any fear of spontaneous combustion.

In a day, my tank has two cycles of 2 hour photoperiod with a 10 hour darkness interval.

Thanks for the fire hazard warning. :)

hehe, I was sure you had it under control :)

Could be the next wave in variable photo period lighting and we can say "we knew him whe he was just a pyro!"

Peace, Bryan

Archived