Pod Your Reef

Do any of the latest versions of Nanocube have an effective surface skimmer?

Shaolin

At title reads..

Do any of the latest versions of Nanocube have effective surface skimming or do they still require modification?

Thanks

Originally posted by artarmon42

No, mods required.

damn.. i was hoping they fixed that by now.

also, how much evaporation do you get a day?

artarmon42

Evaporation = Almost none (unless you cut up the hood to get some actual airflow).

Heater = Lots of heaters can fit into the back chambers.

another question.

i noticed in some pics the filter intake has the oval-like screen and also the ridges on top of that for surface skimming.

are these "tooth ridges" above the oval screen custom cut from the nano-cube owners or do they come like that stock?

Custom, the oval grate has been sealed off from behind. Use a dremel and cut some notches down to the top of the grate for your surface skimmer. Done.:)

I am doing mine next weekend.

darn. i thought it came like that and all i would have to do is cover up the screen.

does anyone know if this method would work? I just thought of it...

instead of using a dremel and cutting your own teeth at the top, can you just cover the bottom 1/2 or bottom 2/3 of the screen with an acrylic piece.

and fill the tank so that it is over the covered portion so it will act as a surface skimmer? will this work?

A dremel or even a router can be used to notch it out. I do not think your idea would be as effective since the grate gets clogged up so easy with debry.

All you have to do is stick a piece of plexi or something behind the grate and silicon or epoxy it in. Then cut some notches, could not take too long.:)

Ive read on other forums/threads of people using the "ghetto skimmer". some dude thought of this. take an old tape cassette and use the carrying half of it. simply put it in your tank over the suction area. It works awesome! i tried it yesterday and so far its perfect. the suction holds it there and you can barely notice it. search the threads and somebody will have a pick of it. Im sold!

Originally posted by NanoBob

You could but my MOD. See thread 24NC skimmer mod.  Just screw it on and viola instant skimmer!!:)  

Bob

interesting. but i assume you only have it available for the giant size 24gallon nano-cube.

how much are you selling those btw?

The cassette mod is nothing new. Simple and easy, I like the notch idea the best with the grate covered up so it takes up no more space. The cassette mod still takes up room in the tank. But it is easy!

the cassette tape cover is far more effective to skim the nanocube than any other modification. including drilling teeth in the back wall.

1 inch dones seem like alot of space.

shao-lin nano

Hope you ont mind me sharing this NanoBob....his surface skimmers are $30; correct me if I'm wrong.

Shao-lin nano:

You are correct and I don't mind.

I am not making one for the 12 gal. as of now. The 12NC grate is closer to the side wall than the 24. So I need to slightly modify my design. Which I will do this weekend. As soon as I do I will let ya know. The price will be the same, $30.00 plus shipping.

Bob

Archived