ReefCleaners.org

Pop Eye?

Signmom99

My yellow damsel has developed some kind of eye disease or ouchie. His one eye is popping out. Anyone know what is wrong? Is it a coral sting, or did he run into a rock, or is it a disease? Please help if you can.

Thanks

Is it just one eye?

If it is then it's more then likely popeye. you can treat it but when my damsel had it, i just let it run its course and it healed it self.

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi,

If it's just one eye he probably banged into a rock, and just like a human eye when you get shiner, it swells. The treatment is to add 1 tbsp of Epsom salt per 10 gallons. Should clear up in a day or two unless there is a secondary infection. My clown just had this and that is what I did. Felt pretty happy I could "fix" him myself without any kind of drugs.

Tasha

Ok, might as well sound stupid in order to gain a little info!!!lol

I know what epsom salts does. But, what does it do to the salinity of the tank, and secondly what about the corals. No ill effects on your system?

I've heard of some people using epsom salts to boost magnesium levels in the tank. I had a grouper with pop-eye once, and I just let it run its course. Its probably just a physical injury and not a bacterial or parasitic infection. I personally wouldn't do anything except keep the water extra clean so you don't stress him out any further.

I didn't do anything. It is still 'popped out' a little, but is looking much better. Just don't want to loose the little guy as he has quite the personality. He's very atypical for a damsel. Quite the docile little one.

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi,

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, it won't harm anything in your tank. I actually got this idea from an FAQ on fish diseases by Bob Fenner and Anthony Calfo. I figure if they say it's ok, then it must be. Acc. to them it is actually beneficial to everything in the tank. Plus it was only $1.49 at Walgreen's.

Tasha

Archived