Cultivated Reef

Opinions on initial lighting

MrGuyPerson

Sorry, I know that I've been asking a lot of questions on lighting lately but I'm learning a lot by reading through posts here and my opinions and ideas sway and change as I read those.

I was thinking of getting a 175 MH hood with 2 55 watt actinic PC's but that's absolute overkill for a 20. I wanted to have clams eventually, but I know that I wouldn't be ready for those very soon, and since this is my first marine tank, it wouldn't be for a very long time. If I opted for a 3 x 55 watt pc hood, I know that I'd be good for softies (what I'll start with and work with for a long time). Would I ever be able to have a clam like a Maxima with simply PC lighting? I've seen some difference of opinion as to whether or not MH is needed or not. If I were to go with the 3 PC's, what would be a good combination of lighting types? Thanks.

imo you're fine. that's a lot of light! just save one of the 55w for actinic imo.

even if you're a 20X that should be enough light. altho in that instance you wouldn't want to keep anything light intensive on the substrate. just my $0.02

side note: i would've recommended to go mh. there's nothing left to upgrade to later on. $$$

Archived