inTank Media Baskets

Too much heat??

Seanewb

I have a Non dx nano and I'm running the MJ606 in chamber 3. My heat is sticking around 84 lights on or off doesn't matter. Is this too high? I'm still cycling so no little fishes are boiling or anything. I'm going to unplug my heater just to make sure it's not broken or something.(I have it set at 79) If this is a problem what do I do?

Hmmmmm guess I should ask does the heater turn off when the set temp is reached? I would assume that it would. But yes I could turn it down more.

artarmon42

As a guess, especially with the high temp regardless of lighting, I'd say it's the heater. Either it is misbehaving (i.e. broken and heats the water up to whatever it likes) or calibrated incorrectly (i.e. 79 isn't "really" 79).

And for a really left-field suggestion, are you sure your thermometer is correct? ;)

Being a non-DX, ambient temperature will have a larger effect on your tank. What is your ambient/room temp?

In the short term, open the front feeding flap to cool the tank.

Thanks for the suggestions! Well I've unplugged the heater for the night so I can see if that's the cause. I bought the coralife temp probe but hey it could be wrong. I'll check with a glass thermometer that I have so I can rule that out.

also, if the coralife temp probe is to close to your lights, that can throw off the reading.

put the probe away from the lights, and away from the heater so you can get an unbiased reading.

Ok unplugged the heater.....we'll see what happens. Room temp 76 and the probe was right on the money. I hope it's the heater that's easily replaced (75w jager brand new. If not looks like I'll be reading alot more of your diy chiller posts arta lol.

artarmon42
Originally posted by Seanewb

I'll be reading alot more of your diy chiller posts arta lol.

Don't do the NanoIceProbe... I never got it to fit in the tank :blush:

But the rear vent/fan should do the trick. Around $20 and maybe 15 minutes of work.

Well it looks like it was the heater whew! I woke up and checked it this morning and the temp was 79.4. Once I turned on the lights the temp went down to 76. So I've turned the heater back on and set it lower I hope that works if not off to the lfs we go for another!

artarmon42

A miscalibrated Ebo?

I've had good experiences with them, and have only ever heard good things about them... wonder if their quality is dropping?

That's the only reason I went with that heater. Nothing but good things all over the boards. Hey ya never know when your gonna get a rotten apple hehe! It was running at 84 and was set on 79 so I set it at 75 to see if it keeps it at 79. LOL say that ten times fast.

i use on titanium metal heaters. they cant be broken(no glass) and they can run half dry with auto shut offs. they cost more but i think its worth the postitive benefits.

I'm talking with premuimaquatics now they say they've never seen a ebo off that much so I'm gonna have to send it back so they can test it. Maybey I'll buy one of those won brothers titanium heaters until I get the other one back.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. This seems to be working fine now that I know how to set it! I think I'll just keep it and mabey buy a backup for down the road.

Blu50Stang

My Ebo is set at 74 and it keeps my tank at 78. As for the thermometer probe, I used to have it in the 2nd chamber as well. I moved it recently after noticing the water in the chambers to be warmer than the water in the display portion of the tank.

I'm suprised, like some above, to hear that some Ebos are give folks problems. I used Jagers close to thirty years old as well as the new ones and they seem to be outstanding products. But like Seanewb said, he may have gotten a bad one.

I think the ones that don't have a specific temperature gauge on them (ie the ones with just a knob to turn one direction or the other) might not be as accurate.

My new Ebo has been giving me problems too. I had it set initially at 79 degrees, but the tanks temp would go up to 84-85. I set it for 73 (or maybe less, I forget) and the tank reads a solid and dependable 79.4 with the lights out. ???

Great then I'm not gonna bug the good people at premium aquatics. Like Bob said it works fine once you turn it down :)

Archived