Top Shelf Aquatics

5 Hex Reef

Twins Guy

Eventually i'll get some more pics posted up here but i couldn't wait to attempt posting my first pic! Got a beautiful lil camera after taking some advice from tgrupert (i think!-maybe i should check those posts again and give proper credit). This is goby in his 5 hex reef. Got some zoos from Bryan at Logical Reef and I'm just waiting for them to show their best colors before i post some pics of them. I'll post tank specs later too. Flame me if you must but, i have to start somewhere and eventually i think you'll all enjoy some sweet pics!

simply by shrinking my pic sizes down to 480x360 i get in under the max size requirements. solid. so this is my Eclipse 5 Hex Reef. I retrofitted the hood with one of hellolights 13W 50/50 PCs and really like the color. The lil bugger heats up the whole tank though (the downside to an integrated ballast/socket assembly) so i added a CPU fan to the side of the hood (not sure if you can see it in the picture @ right but...). now my tank doesn't budge from 77*F (copyright 25W Compact Thermal Heater). In addition to the Eclipse filtration where i run the bio-wheel, and occasionally reef carbon-phos sponge i added a Minijet 404. I have it throttled down about half way so i'd estimate total turnover in the tank is in the 15-20x/hour ballpark (35=eclipse + about 50 from the minijet). I have an LED moonlight run off 2 AA energizers and its awesome! Photoperiod of 11 hrs Weekly 1 gallon water changes. Feed live brine, a lil prime reef, and DT's all sparingly. Ya'll are gonna flame me for my stocking levels but...i've been doing this awhile, test regularly and have built up my stock slowly. Lemme know if you have questions and comments, i'd love to hear em!

5 hex reef inhabitants: 10-12lbs LS, 8-10lbs LR, Tiny BTA, Tank-raised Pseudochromis fridmani, yellow clown goby, Arrow Crab, reclusive Peppermint Shrimp, Red Brittle Star (3"), 1 Turbo, 2 Astrea, 2 Cerith Snails, 1 Queen Conch, 3 Blue Leg Hermits, Random Mushrooms, Zoos, Small Colt Coral, Blue Sponge, 1 terribly unwelcome 1" Mantis. Here's some pics, enjoy, reply...

Very nice!

I'm cycling a 5-gal hex right now. I ordered a 2x13 watt light from PetSupplyLiquidators instead of modifying the stock hood. In a couple of weeks I'll start stocking from my 7-gal tank. I didn't consider heat so I hope it's not a problem. Guess I'll deal with that when I get there.

5 hex's are awesome! just be careful scraping algae! mine is three months old and already has a few visible grooves. even "acrylic safe" pads are abrasive enough if you scrub too hard or pick up some sand by accident. if i were you, i'd put a glass or acrylic top on there then set the light (the $35 special?) right on the glass. if heat's an issue try raising it up an inch or so. i doubt you'd have a problem. worst case scenario, you learn a lil somethin about DC fans. question, is the ballast built into the hood or is it remote (i could look this up for myself:happy: ) ? because the ballast is gonna generate the most heat. either way, you'll be just fine. keep me/us updated!

quiksilver5768

Watch that arrow crab too...they aren't totally reef safe. They tend to be very aggresive scavengers and corals dont seem to like them walking all over them too much. Great looking tank though!

he's the next to go! warning acknowledged. i'm setting up a new tank and barring excess bristle worm issues he's gonna have to find a new home. i don't know what my fish will do though, they might actually get a chance to eat, food!

i've had this rock for a few years now, and its been through some lean times i'm sad to say, but no-there wasn't a lot of coralline when i got it, it just kinda took over with time. its hard to see in the pictures but its already taken over significant portions of the back panels of the tank (not even three months time in this tank!) and i'm bad at supplementing consistently so i don't do it. water changes apparently keep them algaes happy:P

• 2 weeks later...

looks great. I had the exact same tank and i just tore it down, transferred everything to a standard all-glass 5.gal. had serious problems maintaining the tank because of the shape and cramped quarters, plus the plastic scratches so easily! IMO hex tanks are a pain to keep up, even tho they look great, especially small ones.

Archived