inTank Media Baskets

Update on switching from Kent to Bio Sea

GobyMan

It is now two full days since I did the one gallon w/c on my 5 1/2 gallon and I can definately say that my tank does not look better, in fact it is noticably worse off. My beige montipora has now almost completely bleached. My GSP and zo's have been closed more than open the last couple of days and this has never happened before. Is it possible for a change in salt to account for my tank going downhill? My orange monti's and acro formosa look fine. I am trying to decide if a w/c with Kent would improve the situation.

I just mixed up some BioSea to use in my 29g system. The salt was mixed for 12 hours with a Maxijet 400 powerhead in a 5g bucket of 0 TDS RO/DI water and parameters were measured with Seachem test kits and Tropic Marin precision hydrometer.

Here are the water parameters of the mix after 12 hours.

S.G. = 1.0253 @ 78F

pH = 8.4 - 8.5

Alkalinity = 4.5 meq/l

Ca = 300 mg/l (corrected)

Overall the salt didn't dissolve as easily as does IO and it leaves a lot of larger particulates in the water even after about 10 minutes of mixing. At 12 hours the mix was clear but a few very small particulates remained on the surface.

Based on my experience, there is no way in hell that I'd use this after 10 minutes as has been suggested by someone in this forum. MDP recommends at least 45 minutes - 2 hours. I would use that as the bare minimum. One more thing I noticed on the finger dip test .... IO tastes much more like NSW than BioSea - not that either tastes much like a mouthful of Indian Ocean :).

At this stage, I plan to use this mix on a new 10g tank rather than mix with my existing Instant Ocean based tank as I have new corals added last week and I don't want to stress them more.

If your salt is anything like mine, and its supposed to be very consistent, I think your 20% change could definitely shock your corals and cause some problems if your pH was below par. The low Calcium levels, as tested by my test kit anyway, are also not good for your SPS in the longer term.

I replied in another thread to this topic. I wish people would add to threads rather than starting an EXACT copy....

the Bio sea is tricky aparently at times. I havent had issues with it, but the Marine environment... BAD BAD BAD IMO. I also lost 3 differnt corals. a Montipora cap bleached, a GSP coll.. wacked, and a meat coral has shrank back considerably.

Perhaps the ingredients are too good? me thinks its salt shock. time will tell if MDP is really full of ###### or if his salt is really good.

I CAN say that overall water quality is really good though.

time wil tell.

Archived