Pod Your Reef

ID please

sanman298

Can some one please id...im thinkin aiptasia?? but not sure...these are pretty large and came with the lr

If it is aiptasia would a peppermint shrimp eat something that large

reef hugger

Your right they are Aiptasia and yeah, a pep shrimp probably won't eat them. You'll have use Joe's Juice or kalk to get rid of them.

You can give peppermints a try, my 12g cube was infested with them, large and small ones, i could count atleast 20+ and in about a week, they were all gone.

jenniebutterfly

i don't think those are aiptasia, looks more like some sort of rock anemone. aiptasia are usually on a stalk, and have thinner tentacles. but you could still use joes juice to try to kill them

All three of you are kind of right. It is a rock anemone which is in the Aiptasiidae family, but it is not the classic aiptasia pest. I don't think they spread as quickly as the other aiptasia, and I see them for sale at some of my LFS, but still, I don't know that I'd keep it.

ProcelainPinay

I have some growing in my tank. I like them, but I'm watching them closely. How do you get rid of them?

I'm w/ Jennie on this one. :P Go to your LFS and buy some "Joe's Juice" or search on making a kalk paste. Find a syringe and "inject" the buggers w/ it. A pepp. shrimp will probably nuke 'em good. ;)

BlackSumbel

I've had those same exact (word omitted) things in my tank. At first they're pretty and wavy (and they're all shiny under the actinics) and then BAM... they take over.

They're either Curly-Q anemones, or a simmilar type of Glass Anemone. Just one turns into dozens.

I finally had enough of them stinging my zoanthids and began systematically nuking them.

bonecrusher71

peppermint shrimp are ruthless will eat any size aptasia

mine ate one three times its size took a couple of days but did it.

I had a single peice of rock that was loaded w/ about 20-30 peices of Aiptasia, I bought a peppy @ the LFS for 7.99, and he mowed em within about 2 days or so.

He tramples over everything tho' lil' bugger

D

Archived