Top Shelf Aquatics

Can a skunk cleaner shrimp get ick?

Polareef

Sure looks like ick on my cleaner shrimp. S/he's had these little white spots now for a week. Ironic because most people get cleaner shrimp to remove ick from fish.

What treatment would you recommend that's reef safe. The Garlic thing?

Quarantine isn't an option - I don't have another tank around here.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a green and yellow clown goby. The second week I had him, he had little bumps on his side and on dorsal fin. I was afraid it was ICK. I bought some STRESS COAT and after two treatments, bumps went away. just a FYI

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading about ICH. The spots will go away even if the ICH is still alive. It's part of it's life cycle. They will drop off, lay eggs, hatch , grow, then attach to your fish again, in larger numbers. It will be back! I'm using Xtreme Garlic to treat mine. Two drops in the food every day, I will keep doing this for about 6 weeks.

Aparently the ICH doesn't like the garilc in the fish, so they won't attach themselves to them. Without a host the ICH will die.

in theory it is possible for a shrimp to have a parasite on it, but i would think the parasite (ick specifically) was not have any detrimental effects on the shrimp. i would play it safe and treat. try malachite green or kick-ick. i've used both with sucess in an established reef. corals don't like the meds, but the made it through alright.

• 4 weeks later...

cryptocaryon irritans (marine "ich") isnt only a fish parasite. it cannot get this disease.

do regular water changes to stimulate monthly moltings on your shrimp.

Archived