Pod Your Reef

At last!! Oppinions please....

Hinecken

I've been working at my LFS for over 5 months now, keeping reefs for over 8 years, and for some reason, I'm most excited about this one. Today a co-worker took down his 38 reef. He offered me the live rock. I, being the good samaritan that I am, happily accepted his offer. Here is the ground work for my soon to be 20-xtra high reef with 5.5 Fuge. Please let me know what you think. I am open to all comments. I want this one perfect. BTW, it's not fully operational yet....i.e. the two tanks are not linked as of yet.

EDIT: I think I'm going to go with a 96 watt powerquad for the main tank instead of the 2x32, and maybe add an 18" flourescent too. what do you guys think?

The picture actually makes the tank look much taller than it really is, especially since I took the pictures sitting down and my stand is quite tall....(it was a DIY job, wanted a tall stand so I can sit at my comp and be eye-level with the bottom of the tank).....the fact that the fuge is only a 5.5 makes the 20 look even bigger. The tank is a total of 23 and change inches tall, the sand bed is 5 inches total, so it's only 18 inches to the top of the sandbed. Which, through experimentation at work, is perfect for low light corals such as mushrooms and polyps. I plan on lighting the tank with 2x32 PC (it's all that will fit since the tank is only 20" long and I can't afford to go with halide) and a single 13 watt PC over the fuge. I didn't have much of a choice in tank size, I built the stand to hold a 15 tall and my co-worker gave me so much rock I was forced into getting a taller tank, at least now I can have the benefits of a DSB.........

Archived