ReefCleaners.org

xenia-eating nudibranch

gryphix

My Xenia has looked like it's dying off / melting away... turned over the rock it is attached to, and found this guy.

Is it a nudibranch? Do they lay eggs - i.e. should I be worried about more appearing in future??

winniebagel

You should start a xenia removing side business for fellow reefers that can't seem to stop xenia in your town. Start charging on a per hour use for that little fellow. :D

It looks awesome, but sorry about your xenia.

• 3 weeks later...

That is xenia eating nudi. I had one in my xenia for weeks without me noticing it, I was looking at it for many day and think why this chunk of xenia looks a bit different. It's so well camoflage.

Until one late nite, I see this different looking xenia moving and crawl out.. got I am thrill.. later I found out it's eating my xenia so I remove it. Few days later, I found several smaller version of this and remove them all..

Now that the xenia is growing like nobody bussiness and how I wish I have keep some of these.

Yeah, he's awesome. Don't kill him, sell him on RC.

I like how you can tell it's an aeolid without even seeing its face! Still, it's pretty clear that it's a Xeniid-eating nudi, considering that it looks just like them, lives among them, and they've been in poor condition prior to his discovery.

Check the Xnia for more--and look for tiny ones, too. Most are egg-layers, though I wouldn't worry too much about them. Either way, they'd be near the Xenia.

Archived