Coral Vue Hydros

Funky calcium readings... Lamotte Ca

taekwondodo

taekwondodo

I am using the Lamotte Ca Test kit.

1ml of tank water, fill remaining to 12.9 ml w/ RO water (tested, Ca=0 in the RO water)... 6 Drops of the NaHO2, stir, add calcium tablet, stirr more.

Titrates at 200+180 = 380

Multiply by 12.9 = 4092 ppm CaCO3

Convert CaCO3 to CaCL multiply by 1.11 = 5441.2 ppm CaCL

To convert CaC03 to Ca, multiply CaCO3 by 0.4:

4092* 0.4 = 1636.8 ppm Ca

:o:blink: :blink: :blink::o

my estimate is that it should be 1/3 of that (~550ppm). I am using Oceanic, sg = 1.021.

I've done this test three times, with both old and new reagents. What's the problem?

Thanks,

- Jeff

taekwondodo

I know that :o - but I've done the test three times with two different sets of reagents!!! Do you use Lamotte? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

- Jeff

taekwondodo

They did.

Follow-up: Contacted LaMotte - seems these reagents were made in 2001 (doh!) and are wayyyyyy out of date (even though I just got them a year ago and just now opened them for the first time).

taekwondodo

the lamotte kit has a reading indicator on the titration syringe. Used it many times for FW and never a problem (when looking for Ca valuse in the 50-60s).... Take the titration indicator value and multiply by 10.

sorry, maybe i missed something, but why do you multiply it by 10?

that is what I am saying, because if you don't multiply by 10, you get 409.2 which actually makes sense.

That kit sounds really confusing. Multiply, convert... And I thought the Salifert CA kit was confusing at first.

Bob

typically in a freshwater environment perhapds you would find a lower Ca2+ reading, so that is why I am thinking they have you multiply by 10 to get a low range reading.

Perhaps not multiplying by 10 would get you back into normal/high range. i dont know. we used those lamonte kits in HS and i thought they suck. too complicated

Personally i would just get a salifert Ca2+ test kit.

those directions are nowhere near what my lamotte ca test indicates. I simply take the value from the syringe after titration and multipy by 5.16. I purchased it a couple months ago. ie. I typically titrate to 80 which gives me 412.8 = (80*5.16)

Archived