Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cost questions.

KFC

I have recently discovered nano tanks and I have been reading as much as I can the past few days. I am mainly concerned with the cost. Some people say you need over 800 to do the whole setup and some say you need to spend at least 500. That is waay too much for me. I am thinking about the eclipse 6 system which is on sale now, for 50 I think. What is the minimum cost I can get away with without dangering life? I don't want to sacrifice the health of the reefs and animals in there, but I can sacrifice the looks. Can some one quickly do a run down of all the cost of everything including the rocks and animals? Is $300 possible?

300 is possible. you are going to need to do some diy work though. the eclipse six will work but many frown on this tank as it scratches easily. what i would do is go to walmart and get a standard 10 gallon tank and then build your own canopy..money wise so far we are lookin at about 25 bucks. then you get a retro lighting kit from like ahssupply.com thats like 60 last time i checks 2x36w. or find some used lights on the board. so far your looking at like 80-100. then get some cheap dead sand and some base rock...and then add some nice live rock and live sand to it. that should put you at about 150 -175 dollars. you will need a hob filter or something of that sort...pic it up usually around 15-30dollars and a powerhead for another 15. your not lookin at much more than 200 to get started. then take your time save some money and slowly add corals and stuff to your tank once its doen cycling....

Here's a rundown of a 10 gallon suitable for softies:

10 gallon tank: $8

36 watt clamp-on PC $60 (could go cheaper if you retrofit/DIY)

Powerfilter: $20

Heater: $15

50 gal bag of Instant Ocean: $20

Hydrometer: $15

15 lbs LR@ $4/lb: $60

Sand: $10

Thermometer: $2

Timer for lights: $6

Total: $218

That gets you in pretty cheap for a basic setup. This doesn't include the extras you invariably end up wanting, like a skimmer, lighting upgrade, supplements, powerheads, etc. Of course you'll still need to stock the tank, and your setup will be somewhat limited. Prices will vary depending on where you live, where you shop, etc. Another option is to watch classifieds, either online or locally. You might be able to get a deal on all or part that way.

harbingerofthefish

I have a 5 and alot of my stuff was free but all in all it hasn't killed me wallet wise.

5 gal (same price as a 10)

7 lbs of LR and scoop of sand $30 +/-

playsand $3

CSL 32 watt smartlite -$47 with shipping

Petsmart PH- $12

salt-$12

Hydrometer-$10 ?

the tank was free to me but even then $100 to start cycling

if you can get the LR AND SOME ls LOCALLY, oops , you'll save a lot of cash. hell if you live anywhere near me I'll give you all the dead sand you want.

Originally posted by Kapelakin

Here's a rundown of a 10 gallon suitable for softies:

10 gallon tank: $8

36 watt clamp-on PC $60 (could go cheaper if you retrofit/DIY)

Powerfilter: $20

Heater: $15

50 gal bag of Instant Ocean: $20

Hydrometer: $15

15 lbs LR@ $4/lb: $60

Sand: $10

Thermometer: $2

Timer for lights: $6

Total: $218

That gets you in pretty cheap for a basic setup.  This doesn't include the extras you invariably end up wanting, like a skimmer, lighting upgrade, supplements, powerheads, etc.  Of course you'll still need to stock the tank, and your setup will be somewhat limited.  Prices will vary depending on where you live, where you shop, etc.  Another option is to watch classifieds, either online or locally.  You might be able to get a deal on all or part that way.

5 lbs of LR and 10 lbs of dead rock...much cheaper.

tank with stand and canopy 650

amiricle sump w/protein skimmer 225

2 175w mh pentand lamps with bulbs 600

60 pounds of live rock at 4.99p/lb 360

aqua controller two 425

various pumps 100

live sand 50

fish 100

calcium reactor w/co2 pack 450

total 2960

and still going

man i love this hobby

my 40g breakdown

$75 for all of this; tank, stand, canopy, skimmer, lighting (will need to upgrade soon), 2 powerheads, 50lb instant ocean, 100w heater, timer, thermometer.

hydrometer - $10

30lbs LR @ $3ish/lb - $75

sand - $20

huge bucket of salt - $40 (didnt need to buy this)

total - $220

2.5 gallon - $8

Custom hood and stand (pine 1/2") - $8

13 watt bookworm light - $15

mini HOB filter for circulation - $15

heater - $10

3lbs ls - $6

4lbs lr - $16

Around $75 will do it.

Did it last week, cycling now. Mine has 2 bookworm lights and swapped out one of the 6500k bulbs for a JBJ 50/50 - 10,000k/ actinic 03. which will add #35 onto it for a cool $100. I needed the extra light for my hard corals but one 13 watt will do just fine for a begginer and some softies and shrooms.

Thanks for all the help guys. I should of made myself more clear, what I ment by start up was just to have the tank system and the live rock and live sand and nothing else, but the criteria I had was to have to the set up able to handle most corals and other animals. Anyways, I have a good idea now. Thanks a bunch.

Archived