Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coral ID ?

paultyrer

paultyrer

I wonder if anyone could help me ID this piece of coral.

I purchased it today and it looks pretty beaten up. I have it under MH 150w at present in the centre of the tank.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out its name or help with the name. The shop had it as a cauliflower, but when i asked they denied knowing what it was.

Thanks in advance

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Chili coral, though it's actually a type of sponge, and a filter-feeder.

i dont think its a type of sponge, though it is a filter feeder. usually hangs inverted from the roof of a cave like many dendrophylliids.

Hrm, maybe it is a sponge, but i dont think any sponges can retract and expeand as quickly as this animal can. id check into that, Paul. Im too lazy to google it and find out right now :)

I did look into it a bit more, spoke to local sealife centre and recreated a cave with it inverted in the tank. I have seen it extend the white feather duster type things at night, but normally when i look they are drawn in, but leaves like a white spot where they were.

Since the urchin decided to recreate the rock landscape the coral/sponge is half and half inverted, but looks to be growing, so for now it stays put.

Thanks again

Paul

sounds like its happy. they do have whitish polyps. i'd make an effort to feed at night/dusk with some phyto or zoaplankton.

gl!

Archived