Pod Your Reef

what do this mean?

SeaFish

lately i notice in my wet and dry filter system where the bio balls are located, there were air bubbles that would come up to the surface of the water because the water level was a little low. my question is, these bubbles that comes up to the surface seems to be taking some kind of gulk out of the water. the gulk is kind of brown white substance. i was wondering. do i need to get a skimmer? i change two gallons of water every week and have recently switched to ozone distill water from local markets. do i need a skimmer? if yes, what kind do u guys recommend?

The first thing I'd do is get a full set of tests done, especially nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. Also, if you have enough live rock in your tank, you can start taking out the bioballs, which sound like they're just creating a trap for detritus.

the chamber before the bio balls actually filters out any undisolve material. should i still remove the bio balls? also, i run test on my tank about every 3 to 4 days. the results are nothing out of the ordinary. all readings are where they should be. so what do u guys think is causing the gulk that is coming from the excess bubbles?

the bio balls and the whole wet and dry area are all exposed to light, but compare to the main tank, it is really not comparable. its more like ambient light that comes from the two 32 watt power compact. what do u all think?

1. You said that you noticed it recently...do you assume that this is a new occurance?

2. You said that you recently changed to ozone-distilled water, does this coincide w/ the appearance of your brown-white deficant?

3. What does your gunk taste like? (very important).

yes, i notice it recently. i know its a new occurance because i have never seen it before, that is until bubbling started back there in the wet and dry compartment. probably started within the last two weeks. the gunk is not too much maybe about the size of a medication dispensing cup. I recently changed to distilled ozone water because i have been using tap water in the past. I heard from reefers on this site and local fish stores that it is much better for a reef compare tap water and since i cant afford a RO/DI unit yet. the gunk, looks kind of dark brown, almost like egg white texture when u let it boil out of control in a soup and comes to the surface of the soup. um..i have no clue how it taste like and i rather not try. what do u guys think this is or mean for my 12 gallon tank? once again thank you all in advance//.

Archived