Cultivated Reef

Temp. - What is to hot?

LiQuiD

I have never had a problem with heat in the past with my other tanks, but I may have one now. I saw Glazers 2.5g and had to do it. Same setup (custom hood and stand, bookworm lights, etc.) Glazer said his stays at 80 at all times but I have noticed mine hitting upwards of 82 degrees during the day with the lights on. I guess I could hook up a fan but if 82 is not a big problem, then so be it, a fishy hot-tub they shall have.

Could drop an RO ice cube in for daily top off, hehe.

BTW if you are not familiar with glazers setup (open top canopy with 2-13 watt pc's)

This is my first post and first day as a member. I should have some pictures soon for my 12g and 2.5g.

82 should not be much of a problem for most creatures. Just make sure it stays steady and doesn't get any higher.

I have a single 13 watt PC over my 2.5 and it doesn't get that high though.

:P

Welcome aboard.

The temperature being at 82 isn't so bad. Be more concerned if the temperature fluctuates between 82 with the lights on and 72 at night. That kind of swing could harm and/or kill your livestock.

That's a good question Liquid.. I've had a similar concern, and lots of places say different values.

Is a good average around 77*-80* for most fish? My heater is set to make sure it doesn't drop below 77.

I have the heater set to keep the water at 80 so it is a 2 degree fluctuation night to day. I have to have the heater in this house, wife sets the downstairs thermostat, by the tank, to 68 when she goes to bed.

Hey as far as I know, the cheap 2 dollar floating thermometer could be off by 2 degrees and I could be at 80 for all I know. Who calibrates those cheap doohickies anyway? I have yet to see an inspected by sticker on one, just the shoved in piece of paper that you would hope is in the right position.

Maybe I should splurge on a digital one, considering I use the same thermometer on all my tanks, just keep moving it around.

I have also seen smaller ones for even cheaper like 10 bucks. What I like is they have an alarm if a specific parameter is broken. This would be nice right now, considering I am looking at the temp every 10 minutes all day for the first day to be sure all is stable.

Where did you find the smaller one? Although another member here recommended a nifty gadget that monitors temp, pH, and controls lights and pumps.. unfortunately, that was $300 :).. time to break open the piggy bank.

I have also seen smaller ones for even cheaper like 10 bucks. What I like is they have an alarm if a specific parameter is broken. This would be nice right now, considering I am looking at the temp every 10 minutes all day for the first day to be sure all is stable.

Well I just learned not to hit the back button after a post. When I hit back, it went back for like 2 seconds and then through me back to the board with the duplicate post. Sorry guys.:*(

Sorry, 20 bucks. It is at www.thatfishplace.com click fish at the top then thermometers. It is made by rainbow sorry to say, the little one does not give warnings but is the right size for a nano.

The big one looks like it would take up 1/4 of the front of my 2.5g. Actually, it does have a long thermostatic cord and could probably be mounted on the wall in back of the tank. It is $36 online.

That site is out of stock on everything that I need! They had a 24" powercompact light strip w/ fan and two separate power plugs for each set of lights, that I want, but have been out of stock on it. How disappointing.

My tank stayed between 83 and 85 all summer, and everything did fine. I try to keep it at 81, now.

I use one of the little Time and Temp digital thermometers, and it's a great investment! If you have more than one tank, you can use it to calibrate your cheapo thermometers, then just keep it on your reef. I think mine was about $17 at www.reeffanatic.com or www.marinedepot.com. There's also no eyestrain from staring at a mercury thermometer to figure out the temp, or guessing with the stickon's whether it's reading 78 or 82. Also, they have a fairly long wire from the readout to the probe, so you don't necessarily have to mount the readout on your tank, you could mount it on the cabinet, or the wall behind the tank if you wanted.

My shrimp "scampi" likes the temperature at around 80 degrees. Should something happen to him however, I will put him in a different container and raise the temperature to around 150 degrees. Maybe add a little white wine and butter (to keep the nitrates down).

Found a cool digital thermometer at K-Mart tonight for $9.99. It is made by ACU-RITE and called Garden Decor Combination Digital Thermometer. Very nice and only 10 bucks.

Yes, it has like a 6 foot cord also. Gives tank temp as well as room temp. What I think is cool is that it has a resetable hi/lo button which allows you to check what the highest or lowest temp has been in either the room or the tank. So when I wake up in the morning I will be able to see how cold the tank got before the heater kicked on and at what temp it kicked off.

Again, for 10 bucks this thing is unbeatable.

I can even leave the base where it is and stick the probe in my 55g next to it. Too bad the 12g is so far away. Screw it, I'll buy another.

Another thing I like is that I can stick it in the outflow of the HOB filter. I find myself building the liverock up around the heater and filter intake and such to hide any foreign object appearance, so it is one less man made eyesore in my tank.

I found an Acu Rite digital thermo at K-Mart for $10 - kinda oval shaped right? With an oval sensor? I'm worried that the probe may react w/ the water.. is there some sealant I could coat the thing in? Super Glue gel?

If you peel off the pad with the glue on it (not very hard, it scrapes off rather easily) you will notice that the end of the probe is completly siliconed in. There is no metal that will touch your water. the wire is rubber/plastic and the end is completely waterproof and sealed. Remember, just scrape off the squishy sticker thing and you will see what I mean. Enjoy it, it has been working great for me. I am currently at 80.1 degrees with a high of 80.5 and a low of 79. I have almost as much fun playing with the thermometer as the tank.

Archived