Coral Vue Hydros

Any tips on building a glass refugium?

lizbeth

I'm going to try to build a glass refugium (I think!) 12x12x12. It will be to the side and slightly above the 20, so the stand will be L shaped.

What size return hole/plumbing would work? I'm going to drill it or have it drilled. What size/type pump would work best to get water into it. Any suggestions on glueing or construction. I've done a little online research it doesn't look to hard (I hope!).

Any suggestions or ideas would be a great help, I want to really think this over before I order the glass and start on it!

thegr8tdane

Wow you are diy possessed with your nano! How do you sleep with all those blue prints being generated in you head.LOL!

Yep, as you know I have to keep this mind of mine busy. At my age it would turn to mush if I didn't. ;)

I'm also trying to decide on how to build the  "overflow" partition to hide the heater, intake/return to the empty canister filter and the plumbing for the refugium. Everything is going to be on one of the short sides so the tank can be viewed from three sides, two long and one short. I'm also trying to decide if I should build a hood for the refugium or use a cut down 5 gal. light strip. I have to add the part of the stand to hold the refugium. This is going to be an engineering marvel.  :laughing:

Well I want to use glass because it's scratch resistant. I've thought about using acrylic..... it would really bug me to see scratches. I've never had an acrylic tank but my glass tanks have some marks from cleaning, I'm sure acrylic would be much worse.

im going to make one outta arclic for my 40 one good thing bout archrilic is you can drill eazy

have a question though why are u worried about scratches its just a safe house not a tank

cam

I agree the benefits of acrylic outweight the fact that it scratches easily. Especially if it's just for a refugium. It's just so much easier to work with.

The thing is it's not going to be hidden. I will want to keep the glass/acrylic clean so I can look at the critters. Maybe since I've never had acrylic I'm over estimating how easily it scratches. Do they make special cleaner pads/magnets for acrylic? Do they work?

Archived