inTank Media Baskets

The cycle and my levels

jdiver

Yesterday my ammonia was at about 8, and my nitrites were at 0 ppm. Today my ammonia is still about 8, but my nitrites are now 1.0 ppm. That is the cycle occurring, correct? In theory I believe I should see the ammonia level start to drop. Does anyone have any time estimates for the process from here on out? (7 gal tank btw.)

now your gonna have your nitritr spike  boath ammona and nitite go through spikes the cycles end sortly after

cambarr

Thanks for the reply and info Cam. None of my friends or gf seem to get very excited when I tell them "Good news, my nitrites are spiking!" lol

I never got an Ammonia or Nitrite spike.

My rocks were cured already.

I guess the cycle will take another 10 days or so and should done within another two weeks.

When I got my Live Rock, I had to get a friend of mine to come with me as my car was damaged due to an accident...This guy thought I was crazy buying "some stupid pieces of crappy ,smelly rocks" for £10.95 per kilo. :)

He just couldnt understand why I was so excited. :)

Good luck with your new setup.

Post us some pics when you have it all setup.

Don't get too anxious and micromanage it.  The ammonia will come down.  Just check up on it every third day or so.  The ammonia will probably take another week or more to flatline.  It's the nitrites that take forever to finally go to zero.  Cycling is the first lesson in patience that serves reefers so well. ;)

Vixyswillie
Quote: from jdiver on 12:05 pm on June 5, 2002[br]None of my friends or gf seem to get very excited when I tell them "Good news, my nitrites are spiking!" lol

Time for an upgrade! LOL

Patience indeed! It's funny because about a month ago I set up a freshwater tank for a friend, and she wanted to get a dozen fish right away. I had to explain to her about how she had to be patient and do it right, or her tank would ultimately suffer. I also recently set up a 150 gallon freshwater tank, and I set everything up with great care, time, and patience with the levels, the cycle, etc, and it is now running beautifully. The difference is that I had another freshwater tank to look at and keep me happy, but my nano tank is completely new, so I want it now, now, now! LOL!

At any rate, thanks for the replies. I appreciate it and will try to post a pic of it soon. (I know you're all on the edge of your seats wanting to see water, live rock and sand. :) )

At any rate, thanks for the replies. I appreciate it and will try to post a pic of it soon. (I know you're all on the edge of your seats wanting to see water, live rock and sand. :) )

We love to look at water, live rock and sand. We are reefers! :)

Archived