Top Shelf Aquatics

Low-Zero Light Nano - Phase 1 Complete

Guest AbSoluTc

Guest AbSoluTc

For anyone that followed my first thread, this is an update to it. I had setup a tank a while ago and decided to give my theories a test.

Here it is:

2.5 Gallon Nano

Lighting - None

Temprature - 64 Degrees F.

Circulation - Millenium 1000 HOB filter

1 piece of live rock @ 2lbs and 1 1/2 inches of southdown seeded with 1/2 a pound of live sand and scum from the bottom of a live rock curing tank.

This system has been up for 4 months without any light or heat. It sits next to my 28 gallon so it receives "some" light, but not alot. Inhabitants include, bristtle worms, brittle stars, pods and tube worms. This system also has some macro that is holding in size (not growing but not dieing either).

5 Gallon Bucket Nano

Lighting - None

Temprature - Cold (exact is unknown)

Circulation - None

No live rock and no sand. This system has been up for 1 month. It consists of detrius and some sand that was syphoned out of my 28 gallon from a water change. Inhabitants include, bristtle worms, brittle stars, pods and spagetti macro. It also has some micro snails in it as well.

As of now, both systems can sustain lower life forms. Phase Two of my testing will consist of adding heat to both systems and adding circulation to the "bucket nano". I will also be doing bi-weekly water changes. There will be zero light added in Phase Two.

My plans for Phase 3 are still unlaid. However, I plan on adding actinic ONLY lighting. Until Phase Two is complete, I will not know anything else on Phase Three.

Kris

I have one of those too... its called ghetto-reef.

its where I send "misbehaving" fish and verts to DIEEEEEE !

I found a swizzelstick from Funken Gonuts coffee cups works great fer O2 and circulation......

??? Why bother?

you are going to have constant PH swings or low PH.

not to mention its just borring.

At least put it in a window to get sunshine and grow algae.

maybe abs is trying to develop or market into the mainstream some low-light corals for the market. like the farm development of those berghia nudis for aiptasia control. low-light corals are very beautiful (reds and yellows), definitely not easy tho imo.

abs,

those temps actually may be just about right for deep water, no/low light habitats. maybe some of the divers here can give some info on that.

any thoughts yet on organisms? or food/energy sources?

you're strictly trying to raise low-light corals versus trying to convert corals to low light, right?

Guest AbSoluTc
you're strictly trying to raise low-light corals versus trying to convert corals to low light, right?

Correct. No coversions. Strictly low light corals that I can find. I am doing some research on that. As said previously, I have some that I am going to experiment with and see how things go.

Im sure there is ALOT of doubt about what I am doing - but somones gotta do it! Besides, I think pure 03 lit tanks can be beautiful, even more so than the 10 jiggawatts of lights that most people have on their reefs.

You must remember, the most beautiful and rarerest of colors - are hidden in the deep. Far from prying eyes and sunlight. The reef is not only whats above but also, whats below.

Kris

PS. I hate dexters labratory. For some reason he grates on my nerves. Perhaps its the fact its a corny cartoon. I don't know. If you want to name me - make me the baby from the show "The Family Guy" :)

PS. I hate dexters labratory. For some reason he grates on my nerves. Perhaps its the fact its a corny cartoon. I don't know. If you want to name me - make me the baby from the show "The Family Guy"
are you talkn bout stewy? lol i love him lmao

A scuba instructor, I've never been warm water diving except for one fine summer day when the cold water in a particularly shallow bay heated up to over 70 degrees. One thing I can tell you about cold water diving, between 20 and 25 feet there is a thermocline, an actual change in the temperature of the water, during the summer months the change is so dramatic it can appear like a mirrored surface and can have up to a 20 degree change in temperature (or more) from one side to the other. During the winter the change will be much less. When I say a change in temperature from one side to the other, I mean it is like sticking your finger into a bowl of ice water, warm on one side of that mirrored surface and cold as my ex wife on the other. Once through that first thermocline the temperature can drop off dramaticly, as does light, at 60 feet you usually need a dive light to see, at 30 feet a dive light can be handy so you can see the colour of some things. BTW, diving in the winter during a snow storm is very cool, snow flakes look wild landing on the surface of the water, mind you no one wants to sit around for long staring.....

Archived