inTank Media Baskets

nudibranch? good or bad??

CraigRoss

CraigRoss

Upon purchacing my newest coral I found a white slug slowly crawling at the bottom of it. Its white, about 1/2" long, and has snowflake tenticles sticking out its sides as well as on its antennea. Do yall know what this is and if so should I get rid of it?

Pull it and toss it....most of those, from your description, aren't reef safe at all...a pic would help verify...

Cameron

SLOreefer

what kind of coral did you buy? sounds like it could be a zooe ating nudi and a Bi$#%to get rid of. anyway why risk it with a nudi? they almost always die anyway

CraigRoss

It was a leather coral, exactly what kind I dont know. (looks like a finger leather but grey with small purple polyps all over it) The rock it was attached to has hitchhickers all over it. there was 2 small bristle starfish and 4 of these nudibranches. I removed 3 allready. One white and two pink ones. There is still one more pink one on it thats stuck in a hole. When he comes out I'll get him.

DiverDave

Given your description, it could be Dendronotus sp., or Tritoniopsis sp. both of which feed on leather corals. See Delbeek and Sprung,The Reef Aquarium, Volume One pgs303-304.

CraigRoss

I think DiverDave got it. I went to slugsite.us and searched through hundreds of pics untill I foundly found one that mached. It is the Dendronotus frondosus. I cant dind out if its good or bad though. I have four of them.

CraigRoss

nope its the other one. Tritoniopsis elegans. It sure is pretty. i still need to get the other pink one though.

Archived