Pod Your Reef

Xoshagsox's Stock Nano Cube 12 Dx

xoshagsox

xoshagsox

Hey everyone. Just wanted to make a thread with my tank. Hope you all like it. I have a stock Nano Cube 12 Dx 2004 model. Here is a pic of the tank now. I couldnt find a picture of the tank when I was setting it up.

xoshagsox

Equipment list

Original 48 watts of lighting (1 10000k, 1 Blue Antinic)

Original fans

Maxijet 900 (replaced the old pump)

Y lockline with 2 flare nozzles

Ebo Jagger 50 watt heater

Cassette tape skimmer mod

Coralife Digi Thermometer

Coralife Power Center

Livestock

20+ nassarius snails

3 cerith snails

4 astrea snails

? Stomella snails

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

Corals

Toadstool Leather

Red Open Brain

Red w/ Green Center Candy Canes

Purpleish/blueish Candy Canes

Yuma Ricordia

GSP

Blue Xenia

Pom Pom Xenia

Sun Coral

Dendrophyllia

Blue & Purple Ricordia

Assortment of Zoos (teal, yellow, orange, green, pink, EE, Yellow Skirt w/ an orange eye)

Others

23 lb live rock (21 lb in display, 2 lb in the back)

13lb live sand

Chaeto

Lights are on for 10 hours a day. It starts up at 11am and turns off at 9pm.

xoshagsox

I just use the main tank light. The chaeto is in the side of the main tank. I'll try to get closer pics later.

Nice Set-Up. Did you encounter any problems replacing the stock pump with the maxi-jet 900? I would want to replace mine as well but just dont know if the maxi would fit as easily as the mini 606.

BTW I like your brain.

xoshagsox

Donovan - It was easy to change the stock to a maxi 900. It was the same amount of work as the mini jet 606.

I originally bought the Mini 606 (82-153 GPH, 6 watts) but realized that the pump wasnt strong enough with the Y lockline split. I went and bought a Maxijet 900 (230 GPH, 8.5 watts) and it created better flow. It was almost 100 GPH more than the mini 606 with only 2.5 more watts. I'm still not happy with the amount of flow though. I didnt get the Maxijet 1200 (290 GPH, 20 watts) because it was only 60 more GPH than the 900 but was 11.5 more watts. That would heat up the nanocube fast. Hope this helps.

Xoshagsox, thanks for the info you just helped me make my decision to replace the 606 with maxi jet 900. I am running the stock in the intake grill blowing out but still feel the flow inadequate plus my temps with two pumps are noticeably rising. Hope using one pump like the maxi jet would solve all that.

Also I like the chaeto in the tank. Please more pics.

FishFreak

Great shrooms. You can really see the diff between sun coral and dendros in that pic. I like the splitting candy canes also.

embryoguy

nice tank :) i switched out my stock pump with a rio 180 and it works great :)

love that cassette :) best nano feature. thanks again to the guy who came up with it.

embryoguy

xosh, with your macro in the back of the main tank, make sure you keep an eye on yoru pH fluctuations in the morning. i told my bro. to do the same thing and he noticed pH fluctuations. you should add a fuge light, its super easy to do.

i took apart an aqua vase 7wt 10k light. it even came with a reflector. cost ws like 20.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.p...rt=1&thecat=500

here is a link of the modification. the pic is of my 6 gal nanocube. but i did the exact same thing to my 12.

xoshagsox

I'll eventually add a fuge light. Just have been too lazy to do it. And i'm in the process of starting a fresh water planted tank. I was inspired with other people's tanks.

xoshagsox

The tank was set up in March. I used live rock and live sand from an established tank. I then started to add coral after the readings were right.

Archived