Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Noob advice appreciated!

cgp

A while back my kids got me a 3 gallon Eclipse system 3 that I have set up for my office with plants and FW fish.

It got me to thinking, which is a bad thing.

I'm thinking of buying another one and upgrading the light from a 6 watt to a 13 watt from here: www.ahsupply.com. It looks like the lighting should fit right into the slot where the 6 watt lighting sits.

It'll give me 4.3 watts per gallon.

It has a built in marineland biowheel filter with a turnover rating of 45 gallons, so filtration should be fine.

Toss in a little heater, a bit of live sand, some small chunks of live rock and I've got a start.

I have some reef experience via a 55 gal that I ran with a plenum and protein skimmer, I had it very well balanced so I really did have minimal maintenance on the thing. OK. Here are my questions:

1. How does the above set-up look for a start?

2. How much maintenance are we talking here to keep it looking good and in balance?

3. Should I even bother thinking about a plenum? I'm thinking no and that it would be kinda silly for something so small, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

4. How should I stock it? I'm thinking along the following lines:

3 hermits

2 snails

1 goby or clown

mushrooms

leathers

star polyps

cleaner shrimp

Am I a total nutjob, or is it doable?

Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sounds good to me, though you should probably take out the biowheel but use the unit for flow. Your LR should be adequate in handling the biowheel's responsibilities.

Also, I think your greatest problem will be evaporation issues. Consider getting an automated top-off system for the tank. I believe physh1 makes them.

John

Evaporation isnt a big problem with the elcipse hood. As long as you don't modify it too bad.

everything looks good, except for the clown: pitch it. Probably even the goby. Shrimp should be ok though. I suggest doing a search for 3 gallon and eclipse and all that good stuff on here and in the nano-reef section of ReefCentral. Theres lotsa info out there.

Dont worry about a plenum or nuthin. Whatever that is. I ran mine for 9 months without even using the filter and had 0 problems. (except when a snail died)

Oh yeah, I suggest banded trochus snails, as they seem hardier than astreas. If one dies, you're up a creek.

I just did a search on this site using eclipse and noticed that some people love em and some people hate em. It also looks like most of you think that 6 gals will work much better than 3, esp. if I want to keep a fish in there. Yes? No?

Archived