inTank Media Baskets

Xenia or not ??????????????

Ang&Pat

Please help. We thought this was a xenia, but not sure. It does not have a stalk. When purchased it was growing in the sand.

Please help.

Thanks guys

Ang & Pat

reef hugger

Xenia does not have single polyps growing up from the substrate like that. It looks like Clavularia to me.

Thanks for the help!

I google searched for the Clavularia and all the pictures I found look a bit different then what we have.

I couldn't find any with the same red/purple color and many of the polyps looked different.

Did we just luck into a rare strand or what?

Sorry to be such Newbs.

jenniebutterfly

not anthelia, anthelia does not close up like that, it is a type of clove polyp or glove polyp, there are so many different kinds that you may not find a picture of what you have exactly, http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1604, but since it is retracting it's polyps into the calyx completly it is not anthelia. here is a pic of anthelia http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?...520sp.jpg&site=

Contrary to the looks in that picture it is in good health.

That was a sloppy picture taken when it was just waking up. With the lights on it opens up and looks great.

jenniebutterfly

i am sure it is, actually it is a good picture because it shows both open and closed polyps. but what i am stating is that anthelia do not pull their tentacles into the calyx.

i went to my lfs a couple of times in search for an xenia frag or rock and they didnt have any for sell for a while...i finally went and they had a frag of this which the sells kid said yeah thats xenia...while oh well i knew its not still got it...but still like to know what it is...

that there in that pic is anthelia.

your first pic at the top looks more like possibly clove polyps

true xenia looks similar to anthelia, but rather than stocks on a creeping mat, there is a central base, similar to a leather, which has extensions that end in a finger like polyp.

there are lots of pics of true xenia here:

www.garf.org

Archived