SaltCritters.com

green water?

miami754

Here are the stats on my tank so you can help me with my problem.

- 6 gallon eclipse

- 8W fluorescent, 13W compact fluorescent 50/50 actinic/white, 13W compact fluorescent white light for a total of 34W of light

- 6 lbs. live rock

- 10 lbs. live sand

- 6 crabs, 6 astria snails

- 1 powerhead

The tank has been set up for 5 weeks now. The algae bloom occured around 3 weeks ago, but the cleanup crew has gotten rid of all the algae on the rocks, sand, and glass. However, a couple of days ago the water began to develop a hint of lime green color to it. I waited to see what would happen and it got worse. I did not have a filter in there because everyone said the liverock would be adequate for filtration. I put a filter in it for a day to see if the color would go away, but the color is still there. I tested for ammonia and nitrites and they are both at zero. I need to go out and purchase a nitrate tester so I do not have that reading. Thanks for any help on what is happening.

But I do not feed phyto. I do not have any coral or fish yet so I am not feeding anything to the tank. Is it still possible to have this kind of bloom?

neanderthalman

You don't feed algae or diatoms either, yet you can still have an algae or diatom bloom. There is a great deal of diversity on LR, and phytoplankton could quite likely survive the cycle and then multiply just as algae and diatoms do.

Thanks for the information. So how would you suggest I get rid of the green water? I read the other post, do you think I should use their chemical treatment suggestion or try keeping the lights to a minimum for awhile? Thanks.

BKtomodachi

Do you have any inhabitants that need light, or nice rock? If not, cover the tank with a black blanket for a while, letting no light in. Also, doing a water change can help.

Archived