Innovative Marine Aquariums

xenia shrunk

dmanshep

Hello,

I have a 7 gallon bow front that I have some coral in... I have been having alot of luck with this xenia except I have a ?...

XENIA LINK

just tonight the xenia in the picture to the right seems to have shrunk down alot and isn't happy... my water params are as follows

SG = 1.024

temp = 76.9

Nitrite = 0

Amonia = 0

Nitrate = 4 - 5 ppm

calcium = 480ish

PH = 8.43 - 8.45

plenty of water flow and light 2 13watt smartlights.. can anyone shed some light on possible problems.. oh and all I have fed is some brine about once a week... not sure what else to feed just a coral tank... sorry i'm kinda new to coral..

thanks

dan

it could just be one of those random meltings of colonies you here about from xenia owners i have read alot of cases about this hapening over on reef central (before it turned slow and stupid). it could be stressed induced or just a natural occurance.

we had a xenia that did great for about a week and then in all of the sudden melted. Who knows I hope yours perks back up soon. Ours continued to look worse and worse. we finially scraped it off the rock and removed it when its stalk looked like it was about to burst, I would rather loose the xenia than to crach my entire tank.

a couple of things to consider:

did you just do a water change?

is something crawling around/on the coral that might be bothering it?

have you tried moving it to a different spot in the tank to see if that makes a difference?

how long have you had that coral?

have you added any new coral(s) into the tank that could possibly be stinging the xenia or sending off defense chemicals?

the only thing that i have used so far for feeding my coral only tank is phytoplex by kent marine. i didn't add any for a month and my xenia stopped pulsing. as soon as i did, :woot: hth

Xenia, from what I have read needs Iodide suplimentation BUT to much Iodide can be fatal for them. Depending on how many soft corals you have I may consider adding some Iodide at 1/4 to 1/2 strength once to twice a week and see if the Xenia perks up... Just don't OD the iodide.

• 5 weeks later...

ive had a xenia colony melt away for no appearant reason. all tank params were fine and all other corals were doing great and the xenia just decided to disintigrate. recently my xenia started looking like crap and i was worried but now its making a slow recovery. mine looked worse than yours.

Archived