Cultivated Reef

How much LS or Sand

R1

How much sand do you have in your 12 or 24 Nano Cube. I had a 4" +/- sandbed in my 70g tall tank and it done well. I bought a 20lb bag of CaribSea Arag Alive reef sand today and used the hole bag. I think it might be to much but then again I don't think you can have to much sand.

Please give me some feedback on what ya'll are doing.

Thanks R1

Usually 1 Pound per 1 Gallon on both LR and LS. Because you will end up putting corals with LR anyways later on. But that is the general rule.

For a good approximation, multiply the length of the tank by the width by the desired depth. (All measurements in inches.) (In order for efficient biological processes to occur most experts recommend a depth of at least 3”.) Divide the result by 1728. For substrate with a grain size of 1.0-2.0 mm multiple by 100. For substrate with a grain size of greater than 2.0 mm multiple by 80.

I just copied and pasted that from reefgeek. I usually shoot for 1 or 1.25" or less. If you want a deep sand bed, shoot for 5-6"+.

aleiodubua

I'd be carefull with that much sand in a JBJ Nano-Cube. I heard that deep sand beds don't do well in the Cubes, as in they can cause more stress againsts the cuved glass causing them to crack.

This is nothing that has happened to me by any means, just something I heard from a few people.

I have 12lbs of Marshall Island LR on the way. I only plan on having 2 small fish, cleaning crew, and lots of mushrooms all different types and colors. They are also easy to frag.

I seen a tank about 2.5 years ago, 46g bow front with 2-yellow/ gold strip maroon clowns a mushrooms. It was very cool. I know it sounds goofy but it looked good. Simple, I think sometime we forget how to create a simple tank. So that is what my goal is.

Thanks for the info, anyone else?

dsb are not really that usefull in smaller tanks, according to Dr. Ron Shimek. There has to be quite a bit of surface area.

I think you would be better doing like tigahboy said w/ regards to 1-1.5 inches.

Since in that small of tank you won't be able to fit a ton of sand sifting inverts, keep it shallow so you don't have to kill your self trying to maintain it.

Archived