Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tank Move Coming Up...

Gimpster

...and I am looking for advice. I have a 20L in my front room. I need to move the setup to the back room where I have the new stand I built. The tank is lightly populated and there is only about 15# LR. Whould it be better to put all the rock on the sand bed and drain the water down to just over the rocks and move it, or should I brake it all the way down and put all the rocks & critters in buckets for the move?

The last move I did was tank to tank so I used the bucket method. Any advice would be great.

I'd take the rocks out and leave enough water to keep the sand wet. I moved my 29 gallon this way. Any rocks in it and it would have been too heavy/akward to lift. Besides, you don't want to be shifting weight around by carrying a tank that has a huge load on the bottom glass. Especially if it happens to be drilled.

winniebagel

Moving rocks and water via buckets instead of leaving it in the tank would be the way to go. There is the possibility of having a busted tank bottom if you're moving with rocks+sand+some water method. Better safe than sorry, as mom always says. :D

Originally posted by Korbin

I'd take the rocks out and leave enough water to keep the sand wet.  I moved my 29 gallon this way.  Any rocks in it and it would have been too heavy/akward to lift.   Besides, you don't want to be shifting weight around by carrying a tank that has a huge load on the bottom glass.  Especially if it happens to be drilled.

i agree with korbin. this is the safest way, and probably the easiest. my move this summer will require me to use a bucket for rock and water, and another for fish and water. i plan on using a inverter to run a small powerhead and heater in each during the move, to keep everything as close as possible to the parameters they were as when the tank was setup.

I'd also make sure you have a friend with a tank nearby in case things go REALLY wrong. So you can unload your corals on him and make his day.

I do not really have more then a few softies, nor do I have any nearby Reef keeper friend yet, I do have the old tank, the reef was in as a back up though, and I can always evict my lizard from her 20L and put here in somthing else.

Worse comes to worse they will survive in the buckets, I have power heads aplenty and two heaters. Now that I thnk of it I also have a nice MH shop light that would make a nice ligh for my tank. Humm... Maybe it is a bit too much for the little 20g Long.

Archived