Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Newbie Lighting Question (Sorry)

MrGuyPerson

Yes I did use the search and I found many answers to most of my questions. One thing I did not find yet was whether or not the MH users here put the hood directly on the tank or suspended it above. I know that MH generates a ton of heat.

Here is what I wanted to do for my 20H:

I found this at Pet Supply Liquidator: 1 X 250 watt MH bulb, with a choice of either 2 36 or 55 watt PC's. I was thinking of going with both actinics. Thoughts on that? I figured I'd go with the 55's for more light. It's the same price so hey why not. That's the same reason I'm opting for the 250 instead of the 175. The hood has built in fans and an "NO shield." I assume that this protects the bulbs from splashes?

Any problems with the set-up? It's not going to cook my reef will it? I've seen some recommendations of 400 watt MH so I thought that this would be ok but I don't want anything to go wrong so I'm running it by everyone here. Eventually, I'd like to move up to SPS and Clams. That's why I wanted the MH bulbs. I also like the look of some softies like Xenia. It won't fry these guys will it (shh don't laugh)?

Will the fan keep the bulbs cool enough or will the fact that since it's a smaller tank, the fans won't help everything? If I should suspend it, how high should it be placed? Thanks in advance everyone. This forum provides so much info I don't usually need to post. :)

But 250 watts with 2 55's on a 20 H is major over kill. A 175 with 2 36's would still be more than enough.

Atleast 6 inches off the top of the tank, Unless you want to invest in a chiller.

I think 175 watt mogul base with 2 x 55 would be great. I bought a similar model from them but with a HQI metal halide. You will love . Make sure you call them soon they are running out of material because of the dock strike on the west coast.

I do plan on sticking to soft coral for now. That's why I said I wanted to eventually move up...So I figured I'd get the best lighting that I could as to avoid having upgrade. Taking my time is one of the things that I've been planning on.

So whats the verdict on how high the light should be above the tank? Atleast 6 inches? More? Less?

I've been rolling the idea around in my head for a while, but I don't have that much room and I don't know if I could afford too much of a larger aquarium. Would the hood I wanted (24") be able to be used for a larger aquarium? I understand that the actual lighting would, but with the hood short, would all the tank get sufficient light?

Archived