Cultivated Reef

ODNO over a 10 gal?

BlackSumbel

I'm thinking about DIY lighting for a 10 gl coral-and-fish tank (see my post in the beginners forum entitled "Starting Fresh").

Would ODNO (Over-Driven Normal Output) flourescent lighting (1 24" T8) overdriven with a 4 bulb ballast put out sufficient light for a small coral tank?

Danke.

ODNO just requires sometype of cooling system around the bulbs to keep them from excessively heating. The overheating is what causes early bulb burnout, with propper care one of these systems can go 1.5 years without a bulb change. I know a few people who have gone longer without bulb changes.

Also, these are normal flourescent lights, plain broad spectrum T8, so, $5 for a single bulb every few months (about what my FW incandescents go for) isn't too horrible.

My questions is if it would provide enough lighting for corals. I may up it to two bulbs (each on their own ballast) to double the availible lighting (8X what two normal 24" or 18" T8 would provide).

-Sumbel

I'm using a 2x32 electronic ballast to OD 2x15w 18" flo bulbs (1-03/1-powerglow),they are hooked in series. I'm getting =50+watt out of this set-up. As for heat its about the same,maybe a little higher but not much. Yes they say the bulbs last over a year under normal use, but the color shift will take place around the same time so I would have to change them out anyway after 12 months.

leslr.

Archived